Maybe not a Dawes Olympic, Updated.

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
The new addition to the expanding push bike collection in dads garage.

I'm intending to do the Bravo Scozia next year and needed a robust mount. So I parted with my £70.00 and in return I am the proud owner of this beauty.....

I've no idea how old it is or what make half of the components are, so if anyone can help out I would be much obliged.

So far.........

Callipers CLB Competition
Levers CLB BTES

According to the ad it needs a bit of oil and the tyres pumping up..... :)

Edited: Because it might not be a Dawes Olympic after all, No surprise as Dawes never made an Olympic model pre 1960 :roll: :?

Attachments

• dawes Olympic 3.jpg
    dawes Olympic 3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 937
  • dawes Olympic 1.jpg
    dawes Olympic 1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 936
  • dawes Olympic 2.jpg
    dawes Olympic 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 936
Re: I've come over all English..... Dawes Olympic

& a good clean & de-weeding of the paved floor....

Ah!, gardening advice. Not my floor... Not my weeds. Although I do have my fair share. :LOL:

Nob":1dfpdtfe said:
& a good clean & de-weeding of the paved floor....

Forget about the state of the OP's back yard - it's working on getting the bike in decent nick that's the focus here. Or as Michael Caine might put it....

....you're only supposed to do the bloody Dawes up!

:oops:

On a serious note, I'd be interested to hear how this model compares to the Red Feather, of which Dad once owned one back in the 60s - it too had Campag gears (Gran Sport) and a single-ring crankset; for a 10sp set-up you had to shell out for the Double Blue, which had a double chainset as the name implies. Frame was Reynolds 531 main tubes only....I think.

David

Campag RD, nice lugs on the head tube, a lot of work ahead but it looks as if it has the makings of a nice steed. Did the seller indicate how old the bike is? I'm on a wild guess here but it has some details that bear a close resemblance to a Raleigh I bought in - if I remember rightly (!) - 1959:) and which was not Campag equipped - pocket money wouldn't go that far!

Colnagolover

He said in the ad that it was over 60 years old and the parts look like they are from the 50's, so I guess it might be right. I haven't seen it or spoken to the seller yet, although I have parted with my sponsdooliks.

Enjoy the winter ahead in your insulated, centrally heated workshop ;)

Re: Dawes Olympic for Bravo Scozia

Well I've done a bit of trawling and I can't find a Dawes Olympic anywhere, but I did find this.

http://classicrendezvous.com/British_is ... 1950s..htm

Same lugs but steeper angles and less sweep on the front forks, plus pressed steel rear dropouts. I'm guessing the ones on the Olympic are Campagnolo Gran sport, so it must be a top end model, as all the others that I can find e.g. Galaxy, have pressed steel.

Phillippe handlebar stem

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=125

Don't know what model pedals or cranks are , but I think the hubs might be Gran Sport to, but there is a certain amount of wishful thinking there. I think I read somewhere that they did do a solid axel version as well as QR

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=54

Also it has no head badge but a transfer instead. It looks complete and original and I'm looking forward to my trip to Maidenhead next week to collect it.

Anyone have any suggestions for what tyres I should put on it ?

Attachments

• full_RH.jpg
    full_RH.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 852
Re: Dawes Olympic for Bravo Scozia

I'm not so sure its a Dawes, it should have a nice metal headbadge at the front and the Dawes script on the downtube as in the pic you posted. Difficult to tell from the pics but the headbadge looks more like a decal, what does it say?

From the tiny bit I can see maybe Holdsworth?

Nice frame whatever :)

Back