Can this frame be rescued??

Try this chap, he comes highly recommended and I'm using him for my Bear Valley repairs.
He's in Redditch, but if you wanted to send the frame to me I could drop it into him ?

Doug Pinkerton - 07778 429313

Fill tube with water and seal up both ends then stick frame in chest freezer. Water expands when frozen hence bust pipes in winter. Not 100% sure that would work but its cheap.

If it were mine I'd remove some of the paint from the dented area and fill in the dent with braze and then repaint as little as I could get away with.

Obviously the heat involved in this is gonna cause some paint damage but it will ultimately save the frame. If you find a local welding company they should be able to flow some braze in pretty neatly - it'll be up to you though to sort the paint out afterwards.

The dent is too big to be filling with a body filler and if you braze it your not going to stand the risk of the filler cracking if the frame is used a bit.

the other option is to put a sticker over it and just ride it ;)

The problem with braze, is that the dint is more than just a dint - it has high areas to :-(

Cosmic trail fluo top tube pad ... ? :cool: :LOL:

WD :D

SteveKlein":alimct48 said:
If it were mine I'd remove some of the paint from the dented area and fill in the dent with braze and then repaint as little as I could get away with.

Obviously the heat involved in this is gonna cause some paint damage but it will ultimately save the frame. If you find a local welding company they should be able to flow some braze in pretty neatly - it'll be up to you though to sort the paint out afterwards.

The dent is too big to be filling with a body filler and if you braze it your not going to stand the risk of the filler cracking if the frame is used a bit.

the other option is to put a sticker over it and just ride it ;)

Now that's a good idea ! :D

WD Pro":3e5xi3p0 said:
The problem with braze, is that the dint is more than just a dint - it has high areas to

Fair point - but if your going to be using heat to braze with you might as well use that heat and a hammer to carefully dress back the high spots - checking regularly with a long straight edge along the top tube. Then apply the braze and flat the profile of the tube with grinding/filing/emery. :D

If money was no object then it would be sorted by a framebuilder but you'd be talking ££££££'s.

Back