Scottish version of L'Eroica - now The Bravo Scozia Ride

It all sounds completely insane and will truly be a weekend to remember.

I'd like to do a ride film with a bit of time lapse as well, so anyone that has a Gopro, an iPhone or something that records decent 1080p or above will be required to switch them on and get filming. We could then pool all the footage and I'm sure it will end in a masterpiece........ :LOL:

You can't afford to miss this one Johnny, bring that Flandria you just bought.

velomaniac":2tqiogbb said:
I plan to ride a modified version of one of these:
http://www.bootiebike.com/CWS%20Commute ... mmuter.htm
However between now and June I might decide thats not a very good idea and build up my 1940's/50's Rudge Whitworth Roadster which currently serves as an off road fixie.

I like the idea, being a small wheel bike fan too, but I think it would bang you up too much over the distance.

I suggest the Rudge - the more proper gentlemen's bikes the better IMO.

The British dreadnought roadster is a natural choice for this event. Those tracks were what constituted a road back when those roadsters were originally designed.

The speedy chaps may have other ideas though. :)

For the CWS I only got the frame and fork but to get any meaningful gearing you need at least a 52T or greater with a 16T freewheel or SA 3sp equivalent.

As for my Rudge, all I have is the frame and chainset, the forks a modern unicrown affair. To get an apropriate fork it needs a steerer in excess of 9 inches which is near impossible to find new or used. My Rudge is an ex polis bike for the larger polis man, 26" frame !

I was going to use my Mercian Super Vigorelli but I think it's to rough a course. So instead I have procured a £70.00 Dawes Olympic from the 60's, sensible mudguards and a massive 5 gears all I need is a saddlebag and some spiffing clothing, it's going to be a sensible 1960's CTC affair for me with cucumber sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer. :) What oh!

My inspiration....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPkT0paGEnQ

The steed.......

Attachments

• dawes Olympic 2.jpg
    dawes Olympic 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 287
Although this is ages away, to do it rights going to take some planning.
So shelve the CWS bike plan.
Find the elusive proper Rudge fork or disguise my early 80's lugged gas pipe steel 10 speed as a 3spd roadster.
Latter plan most sensible but still requires building a suitable SA hubbed rear wheel and getting the rattle can paint out.
This is fun, a silly project followed by a silly event, should keep me busy through the dark winter nights :D

bugloss":34dwlwro said:
I was going to use my Mercian Super Vigorelli but I think it's to rough a course. So instead I have procured a £70.00 Dawes Olympic from the 60's, sensible mudguards and a massive 5 gears all I need is a saddlebag and some spiffing clothing, it's going to be a sensible 1960's CTC affair for me. :) What oh!

...The steed.......

That's perfect and similar to what I was riding on those tracks in the 60s, except I didn't have a derailleur. So it should do the job just fine. I used Dunlop Stainless rims on mine for strength. The alloy rims in those days seem to corrugate themselves if you even thought about crossing a cattle grid - or maybe that was because I couldn't afford the flash ones. Get the fattest tyres you can fit for a nice ride. :)

40 spokes on the back should carry my ample derriere. Apparently the chain needs an oil :LOL:

I thought it was a bargain, I'll pick it up next week and take it for a spin. There's a 200km gravel road that goes North - South to Germany that I was hoping to do an epic on in the summer too, so it's going to be busy.

Back