1988 Saracen Limited Edition

Re: 1988 Saracen Identification needed

drystonepaul":53lputoy said:
file.php

I'd not seen that photo or that bike before James.
Where's it from...?

Googled it ;) , was the same as a friend of mine BITD :cool:

So... this is meant to be a slow build but I found a karma seatpost Widowmaker and seat has arrived gifted very kindly by SaracenSteve. Thanks to both of you, very kind.

Excuse the awful pics, this arrived on Monday and it's very manky, needs a clean and a decent t cut. The paint is terrible in places.

Not the original stem, have to see how this fares for size before thinking of changes.

Example of the paint!

Mud and dust

Anybody heard of these?

Only decals remaining

And the 18 speed one on the chainstay (hard to pick up on the camera)

Chainset looks ok, have brought a exage u brake for the rear

Plans? Well, to finish the green u brake 89 trekker I have first, as that's my favourite ever retro bike. But I might mock this up ready for the spring build. Think I have most of the parts now thanks to a lot of generosity on here.

Stripped bar the bottom bracket as I don't have old school tools. Not too rough but I know I won't look at it for ages so may as well whilst its stripped. Imagine it has never been moved so soaking it in penetrating oil for a few nights.

Stem is super stuck, so again leaving that for a few days soaking before meeting a vice! At best I will need some help from someone to hold whilst I turn the bar.

Then I can t cut and polish before chucking parts back on it.

Surprised how light it is.

Looking forward to see progress on this one, relatively uncommon model. These are reasonably light, nice quality, strong frames.

Glad to see you are getting cracking on it, my seatpost went to a good home :)

I was going to build a Saracen myself, I have always wanted to build one, only my current Marin build just fell into my lap :D

Not seen one of those since BITD Adrian, good luck with it!

My double U Trekker is coming soon! :cool:

Bottom bracket woes. Three weeks of penetrating oil but not shifting, got half out but other half solid. Might need heat, probably revert to welding a nut on the side to get it off.

Hard work. :facepalm:

Startiong to get this looking less like a tip find. But wont be perfect due to budget and my ability :facepalm:

Before:

After:

Cranks before:

Cranks after:

Need a 122.5 bottom bracket!

Previous owner had gloss painted the seat bolt. Not sure it's salvageable but will give it a go:
Before:

Soaking in some vinegar. Good use of old baby bottles(!)

Back