Scottish version of L'Eroica - now The Bravo Scozia Ride

I would be happy to get involved in this event, in the initial stages at least.

Perhaps you could let me know how to get hold of the organisers Epi?

highlandsflyer":1bsk3rh7 said:
I would be happy to get involved in this event, in the initial stages at least.

Perhaps you could let me know how to get hold of the organisers Epi?

Just get in touch with Mark

gillotspear AT gmail DOT com

As the Inventor and Organiser of Bravo Scozia I thought I'd better chime in. Thanks to epicyclo for fielding enquiries up to now.
First of all my credentials. Foxfan - yes I have an '85 ish Muddy Fox by Araya built with lugs. Love it. Have a Marin Pine Mountain and 04 Giant NRS. Plus lots of Gillotts and other lightweights and several old roadsters.
I own a 1930's tweed cycling suit. It breathes because of the open weave but I know for a fact not all tweed is like that. It has won me Best Dressed Gent at the Harris Tweed Rides in Edinburgh and Glasgow this year. I also rode at the Goodwood Revival's Tour de France celebration this Year with Sir Chris Hoy. I used to ride Stop the City and Critical Mass when I lived in London. :twisted:
As a Veteran Cycle Club member I have organised weekend road rides up here in the Highlands for the past 6 years.

Re the Bravo. I am still waiting to hear from 3 estates as to whether we can use their roads. I know we have a right to roam but I do not think that taking up to 50 riders through sensitive environments is the done thing without permission.
I want to feel that everyone involved or affected is happy which is why I changed the name.
Any queries do contact me gillottspear@gmail.com
The website is up but its under construction. Thanks! :D

A few amendments to the basic Ride. Note the organised ride is on the Saturday only. If you want to ride the route back East on Sunday with a hangover then be my guest. There will be no marshalls, lunch and gates may be locked.

''Are you familiar with the concept of The Hero Ride? The famous one is L'Eroica in Tuscany. I am planning a Scottish version next June 7-8th 2014. Starting in Strathpeffer and going 60 miles mostly offroad through wild uninhabited glens to Ullapool via Croick. There will be water stops and a lunch stop on the lawn at Amat Lodge with fresh Scottish food. The catch is, in true Hero style, you are requested to ride an ancient bike. Wearing tartan,tweeds or retro woolen tops. 'Bravo' points will be awarded for the most stylish ensemble of bike and rider for a cool prize to be awarded at the evening Ceilidh in Ullapools' famous Ceilidh place. Overnight camping or hotel.
There will be a 16 mile Family and Antique bike ride up to Little Garve and back. There is the Victorian Day village festival ongoing in Strathpeffer on the 7th so the short ride riders will be able to enjoy that for the afternoon and then have the option of driving over to Ullapool for the Ceilidh.

BIKES. The suggested cut off date for bikes is 1977. No carbon or aluminium frames, no suspension except seat posts and saddles , no clip less pedals. So old roadsters, old road bikes, Rough stuff and cyclocross bikes are suggested but to start with these rules will be flexible.

CLOTHING. No Lycra please. Muted toned down retro woollen tops, tartans and tweeds, wool and cotton garments are suggested to keep the Heroic flavour. Raid your local charity shop and ride in Retro style. We are recalling the old days when races were on unmade roads and riders carried spare tubes around their shoulders and goggles on their cloth caps to keep the dust out. Helmets are optional but if taking photos of your mates ask them to take them off and hide them! Leather "hairnet" helmets are popular.

TERRAIN. Forestry fire roads, Tarmac lanes, Estate Land Rover tracks, a field, stream crossings of various sizes, hill paths through rugged Glens. 3 main road crossings A852 Garve to Ullapool road. It's been ridden in 7 hours on a suspension MTB.

CAMPING. There is a campsite right on the seafront in Ullapool a stones throw from the Ceilidh place. Plenty of other accommodation. Hotels, B&B etc. There will be transport for your camping gear from Strathpeffer.

REGISTRATION. Cost has yet to be finalised but about £50 per head.

A few suggestions. Gas-pipe Factory 'lightweights' built for 27''s with fat tyres on a 700c would be a good choice. I would not recommend a true vintage lightweight esp,. with pencil stays. 1960's lightweights that have heavier stays would be ok. Old single speed Roadsters and those with hub gears are very cool and will earn maximum Bravo points. Cyclocross and Tourers would be choice too. Flat bars, comfort bends or drops, its up to you. The ethos of this ride is to be environmentally friendly and that is reflected in the choice of unloved and overlooked bikes like those suggested. Gas-pipe jobs for their strength.
The Riders. I've had a guy ring me from England who is determined to wear a kilt. At least he is going to have a local test ride to see if its feasible. Lycra underneath would be ok...
No lycra or loud colours please. We are riding through serenely beautiful Straths and Glens and I would prefer it if we are almost invisible. In muted colours we become part of the landscape. A cotton shirt with a Tweed waistcoat, shorts and a Tweed cap, goggles, spare tyre slung over your shoulder, stringback gloves. Sturdy shoes. Helmets are optional.
Raid the charity shops, get a bike from the recycling, get dressed up and send me a photo.
Ive had an email from a professional photographer (on here?) who has offered to take Gallery photos for an online album like they do at the Retro Ronde. Look smart but I dont want it to look like a mobile fancy dress party.
Looking for your thoughts and suggestions.

Bloody hell, the more I read about this the more I want to do it.

It sounds brilliant, and with your background (Critical Mass and so on) and
your approach (respect for the local environment, riding as part of it and so on) it seems like you are well qualified to do it.

I really hope I can make it over and best of luck with it in any case.

What (if anything) will you do about mechanical support? Will there be a broom wagon? Or will it be proper old Tour de France style, welding your own forks if they break and stuff?

Oh, and could you ask a local distillery to give a bottle of whisky as a prize to anyone who rides round in a kilt? I'm sure they'd be up for that...

Johnny

Thanks for your enthusiasm Johnny, sure hope you make it too. Dont worry I'll be tapping the local distilleries for a dram. We have Dalmore, Glenmorangie and Glen Ord on the doorstep and they all produce some fine malts. When the wind is from the east I can smell the mash (malted barley)from Dalmore.
Just got the go ahead from Alladale Wilderness Reserve this evening. 2 to go. Alladale is the place where they want to re-introduce wolves. Its also where Bear Grylls has his survival school...

Foxfan":1b603jrl said:
...Alladale is the place where they want to re-introduce wolves...

And if they do, I want to re-introduce traditional wolf hunting. Already got the wolfhound... :)

Back