old bike rebuild

The coke cola idea seems easy will be getting a 2ltr bottle to try out some small bits...

I’m not going to do and spraying on this job as I would like to sell it on has a ongoing project for someone to Carrie on I’m just going to clean it up and getting it all working again.

Handle grips and cables bleached.

Here a few for tonight and that it for a few days till I get some more time so far its cost me about
£20.00 for wire wool and brushes etc including buying the bike not bad so far plus aprox 2days work. All the tips are great will be searching on Google for this acid sound good for future project too.

Attachments

• 20131017_203255.jpg
    20131017_203255.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20131017_205747.jpg
    20131017_205747.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 170
KeyCycle":16oxybs0 said:
The coke cola idea seems easy will be getting a 2ltr bottle to try out some small bits...

I’m not going to do and spraying on this job as I would like to sell it on has a ongoing project for someone to Carrie on I’m just going to clean it up and getting it all working again.

Handle grips and cables bleached.

Here a few for tonight and that it for a few days till I get some more time so far its cost me about
£20.00 for wire wool and brushes etc including buying the bike not bad so far plus aprox 2days work. All the tips are great will be searching on Google for this acid sound good for future project too.

THE WIFE SAYS IM SPENDING TO MUCH TIME IN THE BIKE SHED AND THAT I NEED TOHELP AROUND THE HOUSE A BIT MORE SO I DID THE WASHING UP..PICTURE BELOW.

Attachments

• 20131017_212803.jpg
    20131017_212803.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 168
:LOL:

Ooh, you're a kitchen goddess!

Great work, love threads like this!

Those brake levers are surprisingly effective, I had a set on an old BSA 3 speed.

Keep it up mate :D

Dead Rats":3dw1x3ch said:
:LOL:

Ooh, you're a kitchen goddess!

Great work, love threads like this!

Those brake levers are surprisingly effective, I had a set on an old BSA 3 speed.

Keep it up mate :D

Thanks for the great comments...
iv'e got about 5 old folding bike that are all rusty lol their next

Well getting loads done tonight got the cotter pins out finally, after having some trouble with them I used a socket and the trusty vice to get them out.
And wire brushed all the bottom bracket and cups but decided not to replace loose barring and go with ball barring in cases which where easier to put back together re-greased.
The entire crank was wire-wooled and after about an hour it looks like someone own it again.

Attachments

• bb and barrings.jpg
    bb and barrings.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 149
  • barring new.jpg
    barring new.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 149
  • old barring and bottom bracket.jpg
    old barring and bottom bracket.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 149
I’ve also given the old seat a good clean with bathroom cleaner and a microfiber cloth,
Hung the frame up and soaked it with wd40 and got in to the inner side of the frame to help keep it good then went over it all with the air line to blow out and muck etc.

Attachments

• seat before.jpg
    seat before.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 144
  • seat after.jpg
    seat after.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 144
  • frame wet with wd40.jpg
    frame wet with wd40.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 144
Well just a few more bits cleaned up the crank but the front mud guard I only cleaned the brackets and the chrome tip but left the rest as it was because again I’m not completely restoring this I only want to clean it up and getting it working cheep total cost so fare after buying new cables barring and more wd-40 etc is approx £35.00 plus time.

Attachments

• crank all polished.jpg
    crank all polished.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 144
  • front end.jpg
    front end.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 144
Slowly coming back together now tyre are in good condition still so I’ve put car valeting silicone tyre dressing all over and left them over night.
New Brake cables had a little spray with more of that wd40... and the outer cable had some too.
And here a few with the rear wheel cleaned and put back in will be doing before and after of the front wheel just got a little carried away with the back one and forgot to take pictures.

Attachments

• trye before.jpg
    trye before.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 143
  • tyre after.jpg
    tyre after.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 143
  • putting back together.jpg
    putting back together.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 143
Nice job, great to see someone give some tlc to a bike which would be overlooked - and even thrown in a skip - by many. This should look sweet when it's done. Nice write up too, thanks for sharing.
You might get more interest on this thread if you shift it to the 'retro classic road' or 'reader's road bikes' section (this section is for bikes newer than 199:cool:.

Back