Finally finished 88 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

clockworkgazz":1ywwftdl said:
Man that is a beautiful restoration, how does it ride?

Would really love to have a go, see how good these bikes ride compared to later bikes.

Niiiiiiiiiice :cool:

It rides nice, the True Temper was always a good tubeset. The high stem makes it feel pretty short though but I want to keep it as it was designed. I reckon it would be perfectly capable off-road (my first real MTB was a 89' Fisher Advance and that was) The massive 4-finger Deore levers feel weird too after using XTR and I can't suss' out whether the Biopace iss making me feel sea sick :oops:

Never convinced about SS conversions

They always look better with the tensioner pushing up, too. And work better.

Nice colour :)

Excellent job :cool: , I would have been half tempted to put on a set of swoopy clunker bars. Great colour too :D

MikeD":gaqbh2b2 said:
Never convinced about SS conversions

They always look better with the tensioner pushing up, too. And work better.

Nice colour :)
I know what you mean about tensioners pushing up, I couldn't seem to set it up that way though. I was so excited about getting it built up after all that time I didn't want to get too bogged down with the mechanics... May have another look at it though :oops:

Marvellous. A great balance of catching the spirit of the age and avoiding some of those hard-to-live-with 80's colour schemes & decals. Well done.

[I spent hours drooling over a 1988 Fisher catalogue. Must try and get a replacement. :D]

I couldn't seem to set it up that way though.

It can be tricky, there's not much scope for extra chain length. I've used half-links in the past to get it _slightly_ shorter so the tensioner doesn't have to do so much work. Worth the fiddling effort, I think :)

88 Hoo koo e koo restored with a modern flair

I was on the look out for a steel frame to build up as a bike suitable for trecking. I picked up an 88 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo from a chap named Brian that was touring in a campervan and had a couple of bikes on the back.

I admired the bike and he told me the history of it and offered it to me for $150 au, bargain! It was just what I was looking for. I loved the geometry of the bike and used it as my commuter for the next six months.

Gary [thats the bikes name] was tired however and needed a new lease of life. I took the plunge and rebuilt him, modernizing the running gear and fitting quality components whilst trying to keep the bikes original identity. You can see the results below. Now Gary has a combination of SRAM 7 and SRAM 9 components. The frame was powder coated by Adelaide powder coaters, a sweet job at a sweet price and expert advice and components provided by Shane at Adelaide Hills cycles the original decals by Gil at the cycleshed uk Now Gary has a new lease of life and is going on tour! Loving it...

Chris Jones, Adelaide Australia

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 723
  • Gary fisher HKEK 88 restored.JPG
    Gary fisher HKEK 88 restored.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 723
Back