Is Retro faster?

After my first club ride on a 96 steel rigid bike, with all other riders using pretty modern bikes, I can't say I felt at any kind of disadvantage relative to the other riders. Terrain was a mix of woodland singletrack and rustic cobbled country lanes. Before the ride I had some concerns due to claims that modern bikes are so much faster, but those worries seem to have been unfounded.

highlandsflyer":jy6pi7li said:
I guess you weren't racing then?

Nope, so gaining or losing a few seconds relative to the others would have gone unnoticed, not to mention all the stopping to wait for people to catch up. And with the ground so soft after all the rain we've had, suspension hardly felt necessary.

I remember buying a 125 Honda Dylan scooter once to replace my Honda blackbird. I then one weekend travelled from clacton to croydon via the m25. On the blackbird I hated making that journey, on the 125 I have never laughed so much

ultrazenith":28ewvhkv said:
highlandsflyer":28ewvhkv said:
I guess you weren't racing then?

Nope, so gaining or losing a few seconds relative to the others would have gone unnoticed, not to mention all the stopping to wait for people to catch up. And with the ground so soft after all the rain we've had, suspension hardly felt necessary.

I get you. It is a subject that crops up here a lot, naturally! I do feel when you consider cost, you can pick up a high end retro steed for buttons that will outpace most modern metal, if you are talking XC riding. Throw some big tyres on a rigid and the giggle factor is the swing vote!

sylus":2k67d1vr said:
I remember buying a 125 Honda Dylan scooter once to replace my Honda blackbird. I then one weekend travelled from clacton to croydon via the m25. On the blackbird I hated making that journey, on the 125 I have never laughed so much

I prefer bimbling about on my CB250RS to big heavy sports bikes any day!

Earlier today I did an experiment over in the Forest of Dean

First I spent four hours trail building to makes sure that I was proper knackered and to remove my fitness from the equation and making it all about the bike. Then I went for a ride round the trails on my Prestige during which time I passed nearly 40 riders all on bikes which were newer than mine but only two riders on newer bikes passed me which by my maths means retro bikes are quicker 95% of the time.

I am now seriously worried about next weekend's retro ride where I shall be riding with a group of people on fast bike.

Latest posts

Back