Orange Clockwork 1989 w. Campagnolo Centaur

Re: Orange Clockwork 1989 (?) w. Campagnolo

Just to round out Brocklanders' discussion of his (former) Clockwork prototype f&f, the thread is here (not sure how to embed a link, does this work http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=185005 .
I hope neither you nor the new owner (Coleman?) mind me bumping this.
There are some interesting similarities, the odd stickers, the bottom bracket cable guide, the seat tube frame no. (would be good to compare - happy by PM if you like), slightly different forks.
Maybe these are two early evolutions of the Clockwork, over from Taiwan (assuming 'A...' frame number links to Taiwan) with some varying details.
Great stuff, I was just happy to have a yellow/white Clockwork... this site is a wealth of information. Thanks all!

Forgot about that thread. You're more then welcome to bump it. If I was a betting man I'd say the proto and your bike were some of the first to come out of the far east. As we know, by 1994 Orange had changed the Clockwork 16 times so the two bikes here point towards pre production and early production before the design was changed to the more common 89/90 design. Stange that the proto is Infinity if it pre dates yours though? Maybe it was the prototype for Infinity after an initial run with your frame? Guess we'll never know for sure as the pre 1990 serial numbers are not in quite the same format as post 1990.

MatBH5":1x4ybesf said:
Hello, After catching the RetroBike bug big time this year, and as an Orange fan, when this popped up on eBay in the late Summer (also outed on here), I was very keen and ultimately won the auction. This has spent a month or so in a friends basement until a courier finally dropped this off today.
It needs a really good clean, but I wanted to post a few pre-breakdown photos as I'm sure some isn't original and your knowledge will no doubt help me build this back up with a few more period correct parts.

Frame: Orange Clockwork 19" (1989?), Yellow/White fade. Frame no. is stamped down the side of the seat tube, not on the bb, and starts A891...
Has a dealer sticker 'Supplied by Sail Sports (09284) 293'

Fork: Orange cro-mo

Headset: Deore DX (likely replacement?)
Stem: plain black unbranded with some rise (replacement)
Handlebar: to my eyes more modern anodised orange, HotRod.
Grips: non-branded
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Campagnolo Cantis (Centaur?)
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Brake Cables: ?
Cantilever cable hangers: Rear is a nice Campy one, front plain Shimano
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS5

Shifters: Deore XT thumbies
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo (Euclid?)
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo (Euclid?)
Derailleur Cables: ?
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide 7sp
Chain: ?
Cranks: Campagnolo (Euclid?)
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: Campagnolo (Euclid?) 26-36-46
Chainring bolts: Campagnolo
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo (as far as I can tell)
Pedals: Campagnolo (really nice, with metal toe clips and original grey leather branded straps)

Hub Skewers: Mixed Shimano
Rims: Rear is a Mavic M7CD Energy, front is a M6CD Oxygen, both 36h
Hubs: Rear is XT732, Front XT730
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: Front is a Specialized Hardpack 1.5", rear a Groundcontrol 1.95"
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Nit nice... Velo gel
Seatpost: Kalloy (badly scored)
Seatpost Binder: Shimano

This is in pretty good condition, and the seller said she bought it new for her husband who didn't ride it much, and that all parts are original. I'm sure it hasn't been well used, at least in recent years, based on the brake blocks and tyres, as well as the chainrings.

Would Orange have supplied this with a Campy / xt mix?

Is it possible this came with mismatched rims? Back in the day might there have been a reason to have M6 and M7 on the same bike. This also has the wider tyre on the rear, which I always recall as having been the other way around.

I wonder whether the stem / bars might have been changed in the mid-90's? I've got an old white Stalk where the brake cable drops through the stem, which I think might work well.

If anyone can shed light on the frame number placement, Sail Sports shop and any of the components, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Mat

Lovely............bookmarked for updates.... :cool:

Check out the Tushinghams in this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276130

The frame only seems to have the same tube decal as yours so I'd say is even more evidence your yellow/white is a very early Orange. Wonder if my old one was a prototype for the Infinity tubes after an initial run of your version?

Really cool bike..... had a healthy bid on this myself and I sent it up to £200+ straight away!

My Mrs wouldn't have been happy, but yellow/white Clockys don't come up too often :D

Looking forward to final pics, give us a shout if you ever decide to sell!

Cheers, Matty

;)

There are certainly some similarities with the Tushinghams, the cable routing in the bike which initiated the thread and the frame only has the same Tange sticker. I'd be inclined to agree, maybe early Clockworks were double butted, retaining the tubes from Tushinghams, and Clockworks later went to Infinity. When did the Prestige first appear? Might there have been a move to differentiate the frames? One 'up' to Prestige, one 'down' (no offence, only my limited understanding) to Infinity?

You are probably right; I certainly wasn't making the suggestion as oneupmanship (is that even a word?). I think I'd just seen a catalogue which had the frame decal badges in a certain order and drawn conclusions from that. Is one seamless and one seamed? Anyhow there's probably already a thread on that! Cheers

Wasn't thinking that mate, don't worry! Couldn't tell you the differences tbh but sure someone will pop up soon and tell us. :D

Hi. Lovely orange. I'd like one in that colour.

I've mentioned a shop in threads before that partly ( along with leisure lakes Tarleton and a visit to Stif when it was in The Loft ) sparked my love of Oranges ... Now you've said Sail Sports ... It was near my god parents place, Manley in Cheshire. They sold bikes and did windsurfing like Leisure Lakes.
I bet there'll be an ad in a MBUK somewhere. I'll keep an eye out.

Back