Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves returns 2022

Well can now make a direct comparison with my others. Not as fast steering as the OP nor as much of a climber. OP is 42/32/22 Alves is 48/38/28. Both have 12/28 on the back and boy did I notice the difference on the 25% for 600ft climb. Had to hop off on the steepest section that is normally tapped out albeit slowly.

Being slightly longer and lower framed made the tricky rocky/muddy downhill section more stable but with less precise steering. Feels a bit less nippy all round I'd say. More of a sweeping rather than quick turning geometry. The monster chainstays mean it's very press and go. Even more so than the OP which was a revelation after only having ridden a similar sized Taiwanese Marin.

So far: OP more of a fun nippy tight trail bike. Alves more for bridleways and less extreme rides. Unless I develop more strength.

NB. Paintwork clouded during ride. Tried a section with t cut and then turtle wax on my return which restored it. Odd though. See pic three. Also in pic two you can see the forks as original compared to the rest of the bike that has clouded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 725
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 722
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 722
Some period risers will help with the steering - Sakae MT or similar. A bit wider too so you can take the bike by the scruff of the neck and make it do what you want.

legrandefromage":2uv00jvw said:
Some period risers will help with the steering - Sakae MT or similar. A bit wider too so you can take the bike by the scruff of the neck and make it do what you want.

Is that another euphemism? :LOL:

Quite like not having two with the same characteristics. Trouble is, round here I need something I can climb on and climb on. It's not Norfolk you know!

that's one seriously nice pair of bikes dude, well done you for bagging those beauties....
I was just green about the overburys, but an alves to boot and a muddy one at that makes me :shock:
that's some retro karma you generated dude
ride em like you built em
props drjo

Gravy Monster":thqe8ka9 said:
I'm liking the Alves looks very 80's with a hint of FW Evans about it :cool:

One thing is bothering me and it's your front brake setup , a low pro Canti with the yolk that high :?

PM me your address as I have a spare pair of XT M732 canti's that you can have for Karma,

Cheers

GM :cool:

They arrived today. Much obliged and if there's ever anything.........

Well I think I ended up with a couple of half decent, well sized early British bicycles. Perhaps not for the purists but useable and used, if not well.

Now I just need to decide which one gets the pleasure of being my steed for the HONC in April.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 656
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 655
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 655
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 654
Still here and looking good.

IMG_7083_zps5npc23f3.jpg

8fca0820b3f79d48447118af61e6de9f_zpsine2g4dc.jpg

Re:

Was not familiar with the "Alves" brand but what a nice build you have here with this larger sized frame.

Does allmost make me want one too...

Have fun riding it!

Thanks. Not seen many on here or anywhere else. There's a later mtb and a tourer that I know of.

Back