Scottish version of L'Eroica - now The Bravo Scozia Ride

Re: Scottish version of L'Eroica - Heroica Scozia

bugloss":2wiwg1tc said:
Exactly, I did say it wasn't cricket...What's shinty, sounds like some kind of shin kicking competition?

They get a bent triangular club and beat the ***n*y out of each other, occasionally a ball gets hit too. Players can be recognised by their lack of front teeth and corrugated shins. :)

More of a spectator sport then. :), but secretly I was hoping that you were going to say it was shin kicking. :LOL:

I emailed Mark and he said that he would make a consession to any Southern Softies who turned up in Classic wool cycling gear.....but I guess Rapha is out then. :roll:

I just looked on the map.....Strathpeffer is near the North Pole. :shock:

I can tell you, this is going to be a fantastic ride. With a céilidh in Ullapool, one of the sweetest wee towns in the world.

The money seems fair for the organisation involved.

Monster!

highlandsflyer":14lp25u3 said:
I can tell you, this is going to be a fantastic ride. With a céilidh in Ullapool, one of the sweetest wee towns in the world.

The money seems fair for the organisation involved.

Monster!

That's interesting you are the first one to mention that, I think it's fair too, but in contrast the eroica in the peaks has a pre registration fee of £55 and there was much moaning going on about how expensive it all was blah, blah, blah :roll:

bugloss":1jk4qj9c said:
I think it's fair too, but in contrast the eroica in the peaks has a pre registration fee of £55 and there was much moaning going on about how expensive it all was blah, blah, blah :roll:

I think the debate over peaks eroica was a comparison of cost with the original Italian erocia. I'm not definite, however I believe there's increased costs in the UK associate with local authority and police permissions.

I know for example my old road club looked at running sportive this year, with 60 odd attendees paying £50 per head they would have been out of pocket due to costs which seems ridiculous.

That's madness, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance had a lot to do with the price, the premium for such an event would be huge. It just stops people from organising stuff that would benefit us all.
In contrast the price for the local 100km fjord sportive here is about £11.00 each and it gets a whole load of riders and is run by an army of volunteers. Maybe that's the difference, the numbers of people willing to give up their time to do stuff for free seem to be larger here than in the UK.

bugloss":oawx20hy said:
Maybe that's the difference, the numbers of people willing to give up their time to do stuff for free seem to be larger here than in the UK.

Sorry to be off topic, but just had to pick up on this.

While it is true that many people in the UK are real mercenarys and they would do nothing for anyone without payment, every week there are thousands of people in this country giving up their time to run clubs, sports, events etc for nothing. Often unseen and with no credit. So I feel your comment is not just unfair, but untrue!

As you were. ;)

Just an observation from a UK national living in a different country, that's all . I'm not saying its any better or anything like that at all.

I do think the legal and political background in some other countries does more to support volunteering.
I get the impression that there's less chance of some blood-sucking ambulance chaser coming after you if someone has an accident under your responsibility, for example...

Yet local government across the land is embracing the Community Rght to Challenge :shock:

OK, not all involving volunteers, but a significant step in that direction.

:LOL:

Back