Has anyone ever used a Sachs Maillard 8 Speed Freewheel....

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
.... within a Shimano SIS set-up?

I've been running a 7 speed Sachs Maillard Aris (the all silver one) freewheel on my Bullseye hubs for more than 20 years, and it's run perfectly with an M900 XTR rear mech, and M730 XT 7 speed Thumbshifters.

I was considering going for an 8 cog version of the exact same freewheel, within this exact set-up, with the aim of using the hidden 8th click in the thumbies to make it 8 speed on the Bullseye's. Has anyone ever run one of these Sachs Maillard freewheels in this sort of set-up and had the experience of shifting compatibility with thumbies?

I have to say, that my 7 speed set-up works faultlessly - shifts under honking load without issue and is extremely accurate. Am logically hopeful that it would be fine - but would be really glad to hear if anyone's already running anything similar?

Many thanks

Re: Has anyone ever used a Sachs Maillard 8 Speed Freewheel.

I've used a seven speed Sachs freewheel with Shimano XT mechs and Gripshift shifters since 94.

I can't see any reason why the eight speed freewheel won't work, provided the thumbies will move the rear mech far enough.

NeilM":2vkw2z72 said:
I've used a seven speed Sachs freewheel with Shimano XT mechs and Gripshift shifters since 94.

I can't see any reason why the eight speed freewheel won't work, provided the thumbies will move the rear mech far enough.

Thanks Neil - whilst I'm glad you agree with my logic, would be extremely grateful to hear if anyone has actually run or got a set up like this and knows for sure? These freewheels are too pricey on Ebay to take a flyer on it....

Won't be space on the right side of the hub for it.

Plus the extra cog means more likelihood of bending the axle. So wouldn't myself...

dbmtb":3nf3mzlx said:
Won't be space on the right side of the hub for it.

Plus the extra cog means more likelihood of bending the axle. So wouldn't myself...

Are they significantly wider than the 7 speed freewheels then?

I had figured that they would still fit onto a 135mm width rear hub n'est pas?

+1 on the bent axle. I bought a bike with an 8 speed freewheel and when I took it apart the rear axle had broken. A common problem with 8 speed freewheels according to Saint Sheldon....

Johnsqual":3fkj9ds0 said:
+1 on the bent axle. I bought a bike with an 8 speed freewheel and when I took it apart the rear axle had broken. A common problem with 8 speed freewheels according to Saint Sheldon....

Okey dokey - doesn't seem like something to go for!

Why is this the case, IF, the freewheels were almost the same width? It is an "if" though... I don't quite see why the jump to 8 speed freewheels kills hubs as seems to be the case?

It seems that the difference in spacing was (just) enough to put enough extra strain on the axle to bend or even break it.

Yes, I've done it lots...with Bullseye hub, Nuke Proof hub, Ringle hub, Sampson hub and Suntour hub. It will fit fine.

I rode those wheels for years without issue and the Ringle and Sampson are still in the stable but haven't been used regularly for years.

FYI, Sachs freewheels come in different cog spacings. Floating derailleur pullies usually make up for this but I had a friend that never could get his shifting acceptable using a Campy spaced freewheel with XT shifters.

Back