GripShift compatibility

Rawcas

Dirt Disciple
Hoping someone can shed some light on drive train issue.

I have a 1994 Carrera which I have been riding for the last 19 years. Last summer it underwent a very long overdue refresh with a new powdercoat and pretty much all components replaced, all that is except the drivetrain including shifters, chainset, rear mech and front mech.

With new cables installed everything was going swimmingly until the grip shift for the front mech bit the dust with the plastic internals finally giving up the ghost.

My question really is, what is the modern replacement/equivalent of the original GripShifts I had fitted, I know that GripShift of that era was SRAM and Shimano compatible, my drivetrain is 7 speed Shimano but modern Gripshift is SRAM produced and I know that only some models will now be compatible.

Can anyone shed some light on what my options are. I know grip shift is not everyones cup of tea but I do want to stick with it as I'm used to it, so no trigger or thumb shifting suggestions please :) ...also this bike is my winter commuting hack so it's not required to be the most cutting edge of machines :)

Used Sachs Wavey's turn up from time to time, new those MRX shifters will do it and are a nicer action than the older Gripshifts which could be a bit clicky / stiff, especially on upward changes, when you are puling the cable / mech. Also Gripshift Attacks are nice, but very expensive unless you can find some s/h bargains.

Cheers guys, have found some bargain Sachs Waveys brand new on ebay so I think I'll go for those.

Rawcas":2xvt7cqu said:
Cheers guys, have found some bargain Sachs Waveys brand new on ebay so I think I'll go for those.

They will do nicely as I know the ones you mean.
they are certainly better than your SRT300's which was the original 'that style' Gripshift. the SRT500 being the top of the range (and quite a bit nicer) at that time.

Cheers again guys.

Went for the Sachs, they are leagues better than the originals, but to be fair, almost 20 years use out of the originals means they cant have been all bad :)

Thanks again for all the help, bike has just been serviced as well so new shifters will get their first commute of the season tomorrow.

Back