BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Pace Fan
Feedback
View
Just because it has been done to death, doesn't mean I understand it :oops:

Scenario = I have 130mm spaced dropouts
Wish = To have Deore XT hubset (M730/732?) on said bike with 7 speed cassette

Question is, are there 6 & 7 speed 130mm TX hubs, or are 7 speed all 135, or can I put a 7 speed cassette on a 130 hub, but does it have to have a 7 speed freehub on it.
This would stop me asking all the people that are selling 130 XT hubs if a 7sp cassette fits on it.

Does that make any sense?

Or can I cut 2.5mm off each end of a 135 hub :facepalm: :D

Cheers...Nick

With most hubs the difference in OLN width is down to axle spacers. Admittedly the rubber cone that covers the non drive side axle cones is specific to 135mm over a 130mm but if you can live without that then an XT hub can have a 130mm axle fitted and respaced. The wheel if already built up would also have to have the rim redished but thats not difficult as the centre line of the rim may only need 2.5mm movement max which is only a few turns of the apropriate spoke nipples.

You could respace a 135mm hub by removing equal number of spacers from both sides, as stated above, with an eye out that the small cog does not come too close the the seat stay. Alternately you could simply use a road hub which will come spaced at 130 out of the box. FYI 130 became the standard on road bikes when 8 speed freehubs became the standard and continue today even for the 10 an11 speed freehubs.

M730 is a 6 speed hub and came in 126 and 130 OLN i.e a 6 speed freehub.

M732 replaced M730 in 1989 and is a 6 and 7 speed compatiable free hub. i.e. a 7 speed freehub, add a spacer for 6 speed casettes
this came in 130 and 135 OLN.

For the M732 hub with 135 OLN, take the spacing all of the non-drive side by switching the big spacer to the smaller one and either cut the axle down or put a shorter one in. then redish/true the wheel. It's not a strong with the 130 spacing, but hey ho that's how it was and why 135 came along.

Don't do it on the drive side, while it may work, it puts the bottom cog out of spec if I remeber correctly (there is a spec for cog to inside of drop out distance. also for mech position etc... )

Also the M563 rear hubs cam in 7 speed 130mm spacing I have some in the shop. The later M565 hubs are 135mm. There were also some DX hubs in 130mm.

bm0p700f":39tza9ww said:
Also the M563 rear hubs cam in 7 speed 130mm spacing I have some in the shop. The later M565 hubs are 135mm. There were also some DX hubs in 130mm.
The M650 came in both 130 and 135, this was the equivalent DX hub of the M732 XT at that time
Only differences where the shorter axel and a 4mm and 1mm extra spacer at the non-drive side.
I can only assume it was cheaper to use 2 x4mm spacer a 1 mm spacer than use a specific 9mm spacer on them

I have an XT M730/732 axle going spare for 130mm OLN. PM me if interested: say £5 posted, or I'll do you a straight swap for the 135.

Back