Orange Clockwork 1989 w. Campagnolo Centaur

Re: Orange Clockwork 1989 (?) w. Campagnolo

Interested in the 'Individually selected tubes' sticker. What is the one below it? Looks like a Tange DB one which would be very interesting as mine, and every other I've seen from this time were Tange Infinity. May be that you have something very rare indeed. :shock:

As for the cockpit in general, I guess it stands to reason that the thumbies were changed with the bar, stem and levers if they all date around 1991/2?

I can't upload a photo of the actual sticker at the moment, but it's a Double Butted (not Infinity) one like this found on internet...
As well as the frame differences noted earlier, I've also noted that my forks don't have the eyelets (pannier/mudguard?) by the dropouts.
Any idea what this might mean?

Attachments

• VERY-RARE-VINTAGE-TANGE-MTB-CRO-MO-DBL-BUTTED.jpg
    VERY-RARE-VINTAGE-TANGE-MTB-CRO-MO-DBL-BUTTED.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 299

It means it's rare imo as I've never seen another made from those tubes. Must have been a limited run, maybe at the beginning of the year? Would explain why the frame details are a bit off. The only other bikes I've seen with the 'individually selected' style of sticker was my old Clockwork frame that had prototype stickers on or the Formula. You can just about make it out above the Tange Infinity decal below. From memory my old one was a 'handbuilt' decal rather then 'individually selected' one although in the same style. Coleman might be able to shed more light as he had the frame off me.

Attachments

• clockwork 033.jpg
    clockwork 033.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 297

If I look closely at the picture of your old one, can I just spot a plastic cable guide under the bottom bracket? That's what is on mine. Hence the frame no. is on the non-drive side of the seat tube, just under the mech band... [EDIT- there's also a tiny chain hanger on the drive side seatstay - are these usuallyfound on CLockworks?]
Mine has a different cable routing to that in your picture, I've only one (rear brake) cable along the top tube. And, I think I can just see the eyelets on the fork there.
I was beginning to think that I might have had a cut'n'shut job. The paint does look a little thin on the welds in some places. But it seems that Oranges from this vintage are a little variable.

Looks like a great find ,can't wait to see what you do with it . Can't believe it's a 19" looking at the front of the frame , is that centre to top ? How long is the top tube centre to centre ? Cheers , Mike

Yep, 19" centre to very top of the shaped seat tube, probably 18" centre to centre. These seemed to have a really short head tube, and completely horizontal top tube, which is about 21" to 21.5" (depending on which bit you measure (I'm never sure on top tube lengths)). It would have had a long flat stem I guess - I've got a more original Orange Stalk to fit whcih is zero degree & 150mm...

Does look very small . You got me thinking now , A nice 0 deg or even road stem would look good on my horizontal top tube Scott maybe . Hmmm ...

Hi Mat

Now I know where the home for the shifters is!, they would look right on this for sure in my opinion. Forget the Bullet shifters, ugly, heavy and although they work spot on I do find myself on occasion changing gear when I don't want to, it's hard to pull on the bars up things off-road and trying not to shift a gear.

Anyway good luck with this beaut :cool: , Ash.

Pop my name on those shifters until later then Ash... I'll do the paypal later... Cheers, Mat
Anyone got some Centaur levers?!

Will do Mat, they are on the bay too so will cancel listing, cheers.

Back