Fake (Copy) Ringle Holeys ?

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Was there any fake (or copy) ringle holeys made BITD ?

A long time ago a friend on here tipped me off about them when I was looking for one for the bear valley - I never thought anything more.

Recently I have been looking for some more holeys (now sorted) and have had numerous pm's with pictures etc.

One set had slight differences (nuts and washers) and the slot in the fat end (the clearance slot for the axle) wasn't machined particularly neatly - it got me wondering ...

So, are there any knock offs floating around ?

WD :D

Omas did a nice, fairly convincing set. I bought a NOS set on here a while ago from somebody, I can't remember who but he was selling them via Brick lane cycles in london. It may be worth a call as he had a few sets on offer.

Look here:

http://vintage-mtb-parts.erkan.se/origi ... maybe-not/

Text from the link below: (There are photos on the original article)

Nothing is more iconic of vintage mountain bike components than Ringle Ti Stix quick releases with its round holes and toxic striking looking purple anodized color clashing with traditional silver and black components.

But it was not only good looks that sold these quick releases, they where a bit lighter than stock Shimano quick releases too since they had titanium axles.

It is not often you find a set of Ringle Ti Stix in such a good condition as these ones, they have never really been used at all, maybe mounted to a bike sometime but it seems they have lived most of their life in a drawer. The 3D lavender, purple anodized color is still very good with some tiny marks here and there. But hold on, do not email me just yet…

You see, there is something special with this quick release set.

No, they are not prototypes.

No, they have not been raced by John Tomac (they would cost at least $12000 then, yes this joke never gets old).

No, the axels are not made of titanium plated beryllium with a carbon core.

Guess what,

…they are actually fakes!

Yes, as pathetic as that sounds here I am selling fake Ringle quick releases (and you probably was salivating already for the prospect of owning near mint original Ringle Ti Stix quick releases for your Coral Reef Klein frame which will never see proper off road use ever again).

Want to know something even more pathetic? When I bought them the seller told me they where Ringle titanium quick releases, so I trusted him. Guess I am kinda pathetic after all.

But these copies are really well done, what eventually signalled they where fakes where that the holes where not exactly 100% aligned in the center of the quick release lever. And on the inside of the lever it has a tiny bit more material than the original thing.

Wanna know a secret?

If you mount these on your Yeti, nobody will know they are not the real thing besides you. Hey, they are titanium and working fine and the lavender anodized finish is great (although my camera have a hard time catching the right tone).

So if you want to be the scumbag of the vintage mountain bike world fooling all those elite members of the secret order of vintage mountain bike brotherhood with their stacks of Potts frames and books full of secret knowledge of these legendary frames we who do not know are unworthy of riding or mentioning their names I give you the possibility to be the rebel of the vintage world.

Go a head, get a price on your head for 30 euro SOLD! (but do not tell me afterwards that I did not warn you).

Thanks man! I just got a set of these on a Trek I bought. Been wondering what they were!

That's one mystery solved!

@ sq_root_of_2 - Thank you :cool:

Yes, the washers on those look very similar to what I was offered (as genuine).
I can't see the nuts properly to compare :-(
The levers look a bit better than the ones I was offered - neater around the slot.

Interestingly the 'barrels' on those are different than standard Ringle and the ones I was offered.

WD :D

They have smoother edges whereas the originals are pretty much square, also the chamfer on the holes is bigger.

I'm sure they work just as well though!

Those ones are made by Bici. Not Taiwanese made but made in Italy. They also did a direct copy of the Ringle road skewers as well

bici4.JPG

bici1.JPG

Back