Seat post removal on classic Walvale

Campaghunter

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I have a seized seat post on a 1981 Walvale. The paint is original and perfect. I have read all the advice re plus gas etc and tried everything. No joy. I know Argos in Bristol can remove it for £40 but they are in Bristol and I live in Essex. Does anyone know a proper cycle re spray/frame repairer etc that is within 2 hrs of Essex that will treat an old classic properly please ? It has sentimental value so I can't post it but can spend a day to take it there and back. I want to retain the original paint so can't have it heated.

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

vice table bolted to the floor synthetic sling & a 16T Demag overhead crane. The tools I used on a frame to remove a seized seatpost a few years ago

thats a great shame i have drilled handlebar stems out before and got half a post out , is there a local machining shop that does reaming if so go and speak to them and see if they will remove it that way .

biggs682":s10gsb6h said:
is there a local machining shop that does reaming if so go and speak to them and see if they will remove it that way .

A reamer cannot remove a stuck seat post, you may use a reamer to smooth the inside of the tube when the seatpost has been removed, I will often do this when I'm refurb'ing a frame so the fit of the seatpost is a better interference fit.

As Nob implies a stuck seatpost can be a real problem...Plus Gas, Coca Cola...a long time soak is worth a try before butchery.

Jon.

roadking":2yqt9zn6 said:
biggs682":2yqt9zn6 said:
is there a local machining shop that does reaming if so go and speak to them and see if they will remove it that way .

A reamer cannot remove a stuck seat post, you may use a reamer to smooth the inside of the tube when the seatpost has been removed, I will often do this when I'm refurb'ing a frame so the fit of the seatpost is a better interference fit.

As Nob implies a stuck seatpost can be a real problem...Plus Gas, Coca Cola...a long time soak is worth a try before butchery.

Jon.

lol, this reaming a seatpost out thing always makes me laugh.
You could possibly do it with an adjustable hand reamer if you have a couple of days spare?!

When I was last in Colourtech (Frame resprayers etc) who are based in Crayford (near Dartford so not far from you) we had a conversation about stuck seat posts and the bloke said they will get them out no problem... Give them a ring and ask (there is no website or price list). Make sure you tell them you want the paint protected though as otherwise they will probably melt it out!

Freddie

Thanks for the tips. Like the crane idea ! I have tried plus gas for a week with the frame upside down and the seat tube full. It comes through slowly but still the post won't move. Have not tried Coke, does that damage the paint ? Will also try to locate the frame sprayer in Essex. Also tried Loctite freeze spray.

Hi

If all else fails with diesel, cola (full sugar) etc, you could cut it out.

I cut seat posts about 2 cm above the seat post tube. Firstly protect the tube with cardboard or similar and tape it around the seat tube, just in case of filings damaging the paint / chrome.

If it a solid seat post - (drill the centre with a small drill bit, gradually increasing drill bits till you get a large hole. Make sure that you drill straight into the post and in the same angle as the seat post tube).

Next get a new hacksaw blade and with the teeth in the right direction wrap some kitchen roll around about 5 to 7 cm at the end. Next wrap some duck tape around this. Put the radio on and get some thin gloves and gently insert the blade inside the seat post. Then just gentle up and down, up and down and many minutes later the stuck seat post will be nearly cut through. Keep checking, but as the hands get sore you can stop and look inside using a torch and get an idea of how much you have cut. Also as you will stop often, keep adding oil so that the tube will not get hot and rest, it takes time.

Then before the seat post is fully cut through (so you don't damage the seat post tube / cut into it), with about 1 or 2mm left of seat post tube use mole grips and gentle squeeze the seat post (this is why you leave 2 cm at the top, above the seat post tube). When the seat post closes then you can get it out.

Keep using oil and take you time.

DO NOT USE an Electric Saw or Air Saw.

Hope this helps. Nomads

May work? - Drill through the seatpost at 90 degrees to the frame and stick a very long threaded bolt & nut arrangement through it for leverage - my dad did this for me years ago and it worked a treat - I seem to recall the bike was held in a vice and the bolt must have been a metre long? It was some contraption but it got a very very stuck post out.

FINNEY1973":26ct94fs said:
May work? - Drill through the seatpost at 90 degrees to the frame and stick a very long threaded bolt & nut arrangement through it for leverage - my dad did this for me years ago and it worked a treat - I seem to recall the bike was held in a vice and the bolt must have been a metre long? It was some contraption but it got a very very stuck post out.

If the frame is special please don't do this.

many people try this as a quick fix, but it put lots of stress on the tubes including the rear stays, why risk twisting the frame?

Steel posts in steel frames can sometimes be done this way, but alloy posts generally welds itself to the inside of the seat post tube. It is either cut it out or melt it out / dissolve the alloy post.

Back