Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves returns 2022

Is that a Dekerf in one of those pictures? WHOOAAA!

Shame that red things in the way. :evil:

EDIT: After being told off by THM for being silly (which I often am), I best write something about this rather nice bike.

This is probably the earliest mtb I have had a chance to see up close and personal, and it has to be said it is a very interesting bike. In addition, it is extremely cleverly and well made, just look at the junction of the top tube, seat tube and chainstays. There is a lot going on there and it is beautifully crafted.

The bike is also a real quick one; obviously my sensation of the ride differes from THM's, as I am not as tall nor as... erm... strapping :mrgreen: , but the immediate impression was of a bike that could really hustle along. I just took a short fast ride on the short rocky bumpy part of my test track, but it was obvious that acceleration was immediate, steering was precise and strangely, given the length of the stem, not in the least twitchy. Over the rough stuff the bike is stiff, but not rough; you know you are travelling fast over the rough, but your spine is left happily uncompressed by the experience. The Alves climbs too, with not a hint of flex, just stand, kick on and off you go.

It is not what I expected from a bike of this age, and for me, that's a good thing.

Re: Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves

DrJo":4jyok20w said:
I'm not trying to start a fight here THM but please don't BFG this one it's too nice ;)
Brooks leather saddle, suntour and sakae all the way ok....... and xt ala LGF's green thing..
I know it doesn't have to be purist but if your going to throw retro parts at a top end retro bike then please throw top end retro parts ok see all and nice shiny and top end totally bitd and totally bombproof that's whats needed.. softride stem ain't period either and no ones gonna bitch if you ride one of them....
no seriously that's one lovely frame, and the overburys too and please stop buying all the big beautifle british bikes , I guess it's just the green eyed monster in me laring up..
Everso drjo

You had your chance to make me a Raleigh man again :D

Red and green should never be seen.... except in this case, cos they is both stonkin gorgeous... like.

DSCN0405_zpscdf39c4e.jpg

I'm liking the Alves looks very 80's with a hint of FW Evans about it :cool:

One thing is bothering me and it's your front brake setup , a low pro Canti with the yolk that high :?

PM me your address as I have a spare pair of XT M732 canti's that you can have for Karma,

Cheers

GM :cool:

We did notice the brake saddle but were keen to ride it. Will be rectified later. You have a pm. Thanks

Couple more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 391
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 391
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 391
That looks real nice THM. I usually think that larger steeds always look a little ugly compared to smaller models but that looks really nicely proportioned and the paintwork is a lovely colour.

Gun to your head - choose between that and the Pioneer?

Too early to choose. Need to ride them both back to back along same route and once I trust the Alves. Have to say that the Pioneer blew me away on the first ride. This had a couple of teething problems that affected my initial experience. Will let you know.

Back