European Steel or American Alloy

European Steel or American Alloy

• European Steel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • American Alloy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For me a Klein over a Colnago and a Cinelli over a Cannondale, so.... :roll:

I've got a '98 Rhygin road bike, made in Cambridge, Mass. from Columbus Metax Stainless Steel. I had it built in 98 with Shimano 9 Speed Dura Ace components. I'll post a pic soon.

I've gone for euro steel. Although my Cannondale CAAD4 was a beautiful road bike, comfy too. Only got rid of it because the Colnago C40 was available :LOL:

until 12 years ago i was all over for slim italian steel, chrome, nice lugs and rode them alot. i just never liked the not really stiff ride (i'm 6'4" and not overly skinny...) and they scared me more than once on fast descends. a buddy recommended to try a Cannondale. i liked the stiffer ride and more efficient power transfer but not the geometry so i somewhen test rode a Klein Quantum and was sold. i never looked back and still have my Quantum Race i have bought in late 96 and love it. a few others followed... and they look good too :) that's one i have built for a friend

IMGP5638.JPG

European every day of the week. Specializeds, Treks, C'Dales have no soul whatsoever.

Any handbuilt bike has bags of soul regardless of where it was made.

'Tis why I swing my leg over a Dolan built Cougar every day*

*not strictly true, I bought the Cougar not fully aware of what I was buying (NOS). Great paint job, Ultegra & D Ace finishing kit but most importnatly a killer price. Whilst waiting for it to be built up I discovered that the frame alone was probably worth 50% more than what I was paying for the whole build! :LOL:

Radar":1wcf9y2j said:
European every day of the week. Specializeds, Treks, C'Dales have no soul whatsoever.

Interesting. I can choose between a merckx corsa slx or s-works compact...the merckx may have soul but the s-works goes like a rocket.....

i'm not surprised to see steel on top here. until recently alloy was all but unrideable, IMHO. but my Al frame of reference includes only a ~1990 klein quantum and a late-90s cannondale (w/carbon fork). so it's probably not a fair contest against the steel bikes i've owned, a 1990 sachs and a 1992 scapin el-os.

not to knock modern materials (and material science) though...carbon and carbon/metal 'skeleton' frames are some seriously engineered gear, and lowly old ti still gives a great ride.

Back