What a f*ck up indeed!

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
When I first got into cycling way back in 1979 I found myself a pair of wheels with mint hubs and a quality block but the rims where bollocked,
so me being me an inexperienced cyclist I used my Dads monster wire cutters and cut out all the spokes and cleaned up the hubs to like brand new.

So off I went to our bike shop and asked them to make up the hubs with some sprint rims!

Well didn't I get some telling off for cutting the rear wheel up! as the block will not come off, after several attempts of re-spoking the the none
drive side using scrap rims to aid in getting the block off, it still wouldn't budge so the angry bike shop owner just got his grinder out and quick as
a flash cut through the block and it dropped to bits on the floor, the shop owner then bollocked me again and said 'never do that again ian'

He then handed me a new block for free and he built me up a lovely set of wheels in return!

You learn something everyday, So if any newbie thinks about cutting out spokes on a rear wheel..DON'T DO IT

The point of this thread is these hubs what are forsale on ebay and made me think of the old days! Look closely :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miche-front-a ... 20d92934a1

T2eC16Jy4FIlPmgkLBSUIJw44g60_12_zpse16eb434.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
47p2":2unr8y0h said:
Not yours I hope? :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL:

No mate not mine, my hubs was a lovely pair of campag SR hubs, still remember that day well and was well and truly made to look a fool that day :facepalm:

Hmm, I've got a Record SF hub in my 'Jumble Fodder' just like that. Not a lot of interest in it. I wonder why......................

I did have a pair of Suntour LF (Record look-a-likes) as well but at least with LF hubs there is a chance of getting spokes fitted in between the teeth on the block. They are now built up nicely with GP4 rims so all turned out OK.

I posted this a few days ago.
Better to use an old rigid rim.

You will need to put some spokes in the gear side of the hub, OK all in the same direction. If you can't get the spokes in behind the freewheel then cut the heads off some (old) spokes and shape a double bend instead.
Best to use a rigid rim and have the freewheel remover in a vice. I used to do this bit of magic quite frequently.
Keith

Yeah, I have seen that happen a few times over the years!

Might beable to get away with it on those though as if my eyesight and memory is right that is a Sachs aris freewheel and I seem to remember that the sprockets can be individually removed which might give enough room to get to the spoke holes to lace it up . . . If you're lucky. :LOL:

What Keithglos didn't mention was that we never told the customer how we did it..............just added to the magic :D

Shaun

Well, I have done the same as Ian but i was lucky enough that with the hub held in a vice the FW came off, to say i was relieved is an understatement.

Richard

I am in this very mess as we speak, as I was sent a nice pair of 1970's Campag Record hubs, minus the rims.

I am currently searching for an old steel rim in order to use Keith's trick of the trade.

NeilM":5kpxzyau said:
I am currently searching for an old steel rim in order to use Keith's trick of the trade.
Stop a passing scrapman! I'm sure he'll have the odd steel wheel, then just borrow a wheel for an hour,
then tell the scrappie to call back later for the knackered rim.....lol

Back