Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves returns 2022

Re: Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves

xxnick1975 i love that Saracen! I was thinking that's a very strange frame ? Then I realised it was Thomas the tank engine !

:D

Cometh the hour cometh the the man!

Today we build................

The History Man":2ijz190f said:
Cometh the hour cometh the the man!

Today we build................

Really? TODAY?

Good Lord, I had completely and utterly forgotten about this. :shock:

I have just finished breakfast in bed. Car is full of precious parts, soon to meet their new scaffold. I do hope it hangs together pleasingly.

I'm not trying to start a fight here THM but please don't BFG this one it's too nice ;)
Brooks leather saddle, suntour and sakae all the way ok....... and xt ala LGF's green thing..
I know it doesn't have to be purist but if your going to throw retro parts at a top end retro bike then please throw top end retro parts ok see all and nice shiny and top end totally bitd and totally bombproof that's whats needed.. softride stem ain't period either and no ones gonna bitch if you ride one of them....
no seriously that's one lovely frame, and the overburys too and please stop buying all the big beautifle british bikes , I guess it's just the green eyed monster in me laring up..
Everso drjo

KatieMacK":jth0bv5y said:
7:30am on a Sunday? You two need to get a life.

I have a life, it revolves around the internet and web sites..... oh lord, I'm turning back into a teenager. :facepalm:

Alves is done, dusted, ridden, muddied, photo'd and currently on it's way home.

So, As those that follow the trials and tribulations of a Man of History in the world of bicycles of a retro nature, today was the day. Two months ago, and with not inconsiderable guidance from those who shall remain nameless until I reach the 'with thanks' section, I procured not one but two custom built British steel frames. These were made for their vendor, a man of considerable height and stature, not unlike my good self.

The Overbury's Pioneer was built up into a bicycle of sorts fairly quickly and has evolved over time into a much improved if not respectful assemblage of suitable parts. Having spent my budget for the building of the one expected bike on the two frames, I have had to gather the necessary and vaguely period parts for the Alves build with an eye on the purse strings. Concessions have been made to comfort and reliability as all of my bikes are riders first and foremost.

This has been another expert build, carried out with my 'assistance' by NeilM in his retro cave of love this very day. Once completed, we rode the local woods and tracks, discovering the characteristics of a perceptibly longer and slightly lower frame of similar age to the Pioneer. Interestingly it felt stiffer with less 'kickback' and lateral flex on the bumpy and twisty stuff than the OP. It responded best when hustled rather than when ridden sedately. Definitely a grower.

I returned home, exhausted and elated, wheeling my latest steed and placing it at the rear of the house in the full glare of the twin 500w patio lights which pleasantly picked out the metallic highlights of the quarter century old paintwork. Gleefully I called Mrs HM to peruse the latest addition.

"Oh. it's a red one, that's nice."

My thanks to: Carl for the initial lead on the Alves, (and subsequent abuse on everything else ;)) Adrian for a substantial number of precious things that now adorn both bikes. My special thanks and deepest gratitude goes to Neil, bike wrangler, builder, supporter of the ignorant and general decent chap for his guidance and patience with a relative newcomer.

So, assembled from the the four corners of the British Empire, I give you my latest creation, the 1988 Alves.

please give me a few minutes to load pics from another device before posting your comments should you have any.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg