Raleigh Panasonic 753

47p2":31fuc97g said:
Seatposts were removed and candles inserted in place ;)

I used to marvel at the Vitus Dural frames in Billy Bilsland's shop in Maryhill Road

aren't you thinking of Fob Binnie's shop, you old timer you?!

You may well be correct Craig, no longer there now though :(

Old age has it's drawbacks, but the good thing is every day is a new adventure :LOL: :LOL:

That's me being suspicious and that's the way I approach Ebay, with a big bucket of salt.

I'm not suggesting that it's a fake, but if you had a bike of that quality, specially made for you at THE best workshop in the country and you were also a Super Record nut, would you have it set up the way he has ?

If he's riding it that way, then it's obviously too small for him and I doubt that Raleigh would have made a bike like that too small for the buyer at any time. I can't see any reference to him saying that he had it made for him anywhere in the description though.

bugloss":d0j8afhr said:
That's me being suspicious and that's the way I approach Ebay, with a big bucket of salt.

I'm not suggesting that it's a fake, but if you had a bike of that quality, specially made for you at THE best workshop in the country and you were also a Super Record nut, would you have it set up the way he has ?

If he's riding it that way, then it's obviously too small for him and I doubt that Raleigh would have made a bike like that too small for the buyer at any time. I can't see any reference to him saying that he had it made for him anywhere in the description though.

aye, you have a point there, adam - i just can't see how someone could have owned that bike all these years and not at least worn the sidewalls off of the rims! unless the stem and post have scratches on them that we can't see in the photos, i seriously doubt if this bike has been used. i just can't get my head around having that bike lying around and never having been used!! :?

i'm still going for the bike on display theory!

;)

rusty bodie":1y3lpm4f said:
bugloss":1y3lpm4f said:

aye, you have a point there, adam - i just can't see how someone could have owned that bike all these years and not at least worn the sidewalls off of the rims! unless the stem and post have scratches on them that we can't see in the photos, i seriously doubt if this bike has been used. i just can't get my head around having that bike lying around and never having been used!! :?

ok, time for a dramatic u turn! i re-read his spiel and nowhere does it say that this was a complete bike all these years :oops: sorry chaps! as one of you mentioned re his feedback, he bought a raleigh 753 frame some time ago and has also bought loads of super record/ similar period parts too. the documentation he has is claimed to be the original docs with that frame but he doesn't state it's made out in his name.

right - i'll re-assess that and state that he built this bike up for himself with a whole lot of nos parts. :roll:

still worth £1200 tops for a proper enthusiast!

:cool:

Back