Orange Clockwork 1989 w. Campagnolo Centaur

Re: Orange Clockwork 1989 (?) w. Campagnolo

Didn't the y'ello white version come out in 1990?

Awesome bike and I love the Campagnolo on the Orange, can't have been many of those back in the day :)

Cheers for sharing

Rich

Campag looks like Centaur to me - they did do cantis in 1989 - check the write up in my Swallow Griffon thread.

I'd agree with edd - the thumbies could be original - the Campag ones are rubbish. Not sure what year SS5s came out?

Looks like a great bike :cool:

I think that Euclid only had U-brakes in 89 I'm not sure that they ever had cantilevers in that group later on, lovely looking kit tho would be great if you can get another pair to match to replace the shimano.

The 2 remaining campag group sets that were in the parts bin in march 1990 had black crank arms, hence why I think it was built in 1989 ( that's not to say its not a 90 model year).
Like I said when this came on eBay, I don't think any more campag group sets came in after these 2. I only worked there during all school hols and started in march on work experience, there was only 2 of us building bikes and there were between 8 and 13 complete bikes going out each day in 1990. Some bike shops took bike kits, especially Stif. This frame therefore may not have been built at orange but could have been custom built by a particular bike shop. Group sets were not mixed between campag, sun tour and shimano and most of the custom options were for bars, stems, forks ( Ali forks, tange big one, pace rc30s), maguras, saddles, rims etc. In 91 there were 3 of us building bikes and 2 men on wheel building. We were fitting diacomp ss5s with 986s in 1990 especially when an xt bike was specced with thumb shifters. I think suntour bikes also had the diacomps.
This is what I remember for what it is worth.

Coleman":mh28s0t7 said:
Not sure what year SS5s came out?
91 model year according to Mombat. That MBUK suggest canti's were new late in 1989 (effectively 1990 model year).

I really like the dusty, faded look in the pics... Has a strong ex-race vibe to it :D

Hello and thanks for all the comments!

Having looked at the catalogues on campyoldy.com, I would put this as Centaur, as much as anything due to the canti hanger design (different to Euclid). There's no cantis in the catalogue, but I have read that these came later in the year (magazine scan on Mombat).

Coleman, thanks - I'll certainly take another look at the Swallow thread (nice bike btw!).

GrumpyFarmer, great insight, and I will start to look for some Centaur shifters and stuff in case I go this route. I think this might be an 89 built frame (as Brocklanders says, it is missing the front mech bb noodle that continued on Orange frames for a while), built with a Centaur groupset in very early 1990. I'm still 50/50 on whether either Orange or a customer shop might've mixed a bit of shimano in? The wheels just seem very 'period'...

I've had a google for the phone number on the Sail Sports sticker - it leads me to Germany 'Schwarzenbach a d Saale', near Hof in Bavaria (although what 'Sail Sports' would be doing there, I'm not sure) - maybe a British army link? Also, maybe interesting to note that Brocklanders' bike has also returned from the continent.

Cheers, y'all, Mat

Attachments

• sail sports.jpg
    sail sports.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 341
  • hanger.jpg
    hanger.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Orange badge.jpg
    Orange badge.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 341

Think a full Campagnolo build is the way forward mate, never tried the thin shifters and have heard before they're a real pain, but there's just something about them that looks so cool.

Good luck on your journey, don't think shifters and Campagnolo brake levers come cheap sadly :(

Rich

Would you look at Campags bullet shifters ?
I know of a NOS set that might be up for sale ?

As far as I know (someone will probably correct me) bullet shifters weren't around in 89/90 and I want to keep the bike close to period-correct - but thanks for the suggestion.

They were off the Icarus group set 1992 onwards, just an idea as the Euclid thumbshifters are not the best, I just swapped a load of NOS Euclid its well made but big ! Its a shame Campag could have hung in there and refined their products, the road kit looks so nice and graceful yet they over - engineered the MTB ranges.

Back