1989 Orange Clockwork yellow/white. Update 26/11/2014.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just taken delivery of this frame (Thanks Jerone!!) after first showing an interest a year ago. Basically, it turned up in Holland and was put up on here in the ebay section. One of my earliest memories of the Orange brand was from hanging around the original Airevalley Cycles 1989/90ish and I can remember seeing the rare yellow/white
+ pink/white as well as the iconic orange/white bikes. By the time Airevalley moved in 1991/92 the yellow and pink options were no longer available. Troje had a look and said it was in pretty good condition. He then agreed to get it for me and post it across the channel. Virtually all the parts were low rent and not worth sending so they were removed to reduce the postage cost. He had a right old going on finding a way of getting it here for a reasonable price but in the end I got the message that it was on the way.

Before too long I got a card through the door saying I'd missed a delivery and they would attempt to re-deliver the next day. I knew it would be the Clockwork so was a bit giddy. :D

The next day came and went without a delivery. :facepalm:

Whilst at work the next day the postie came back and once again left a card, this time saying it was going back to the depot at Leeds. :facepalm:

I was just about to move house so didn't contact them straight away but as soon as I'd moved I rang up and asked for it to be sent to the new address. The lady said fine, it'll be there on X. It didn't turn up on X. :facepalm:

I rang back only to be informed that they couldn't send it to another address unless they got the ok from the sender, even though they'd told me a few days earlier they could. :facepalm:

I said 'fine, I'll come and collect from the depot'. They said 'Great, it's here waiting for you'. I said 'Brilliant, please don't return it to sender', they said 'Don't worry, we won't'. :|

A day or two later I set off on my merry way to do the 60+ mile round trip to collect it. After getting to the depot, waiting a good 45 mins for the ranting chap in front of me to get sorted I got to speak to the lady I spoke to on the phone. She remembered me and went off to find the box which she'd seen in the warehouse. As I'm sure you've now guessed she couldn't find it. :facepalm:

She checked the computer again, which said it was there, checked the warehouse again, got some one else to check, then finally gave up and admitted it must have been sent back (after they promised not to) but no one had updated the computer. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Off home I went with my tail between my legs, fuming. I contact Jerone so he could start up a claim. He kept me informed and I supplied all the info I could but it looked like a classic was lost in transit forever. :cry:

I didn't think too much more about it until Jerone contacted me months later to say it had turned up out of no where back in Holland and did I want him to try again? Damn straight I did! :D

So this time we had no drama's and arrive it did at the new Brock Towers after four trips across the sea and most of 2013 spent lost in a box in various European frieght depots!. :cool:

The biggest suprise was the condition the frame's in. I've had a few 89's but this is the cleanest by far with very little patina. I've not got round to cleaning it up yet but know it'll be a belter after a de-grease and polish. The paint is very bright with little sun fade and looks great against the orange of the Prestige. Build wise I've got a M60 Deore groupo sat ready and am thinking of having the saddle and Orange stem off the Prestige for it. A nice simple build in the spec it could have left the shop in. That's the plan anyway. :!:

Attachments

• WP_20131019_004.jpg
    WP_20131019_004.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 3,986
  • WP_20131019_003.jpg
    WP_20131019_003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3,986
  • WP_20131019_001.jpg
    WP_20131019_001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3,986
Re: Another 1989 Orange Clockwork yellow/white. Project begi

Great looking frame, looks in awesome condition, that Presteige is also especially yum!

Rich

To be continued, my girlfriend has rung and asked me to go and collect her! :facepalm: :oops: :LOL:[/quote]

Some people are just plain rude ;) We want to know more about your plans for components etc....

Nice find in that rarer colour scheme.

The Prestige is ace and in superb nick (Thank Nevadasmith for that). I need to find my better camara so I can do a thread for it.

The Clockwork is in suprisingly good condition as well and will build up in to a very nice bike. Interesting to note that the yellow is 21", the Prestige 19" but both have the same length headtube. Goes to show how much geometry was being played with between 1989 and 1991. Comparing either to my 2014 5 29 is night and day though.

Build wise I think the GT Avalanche I just got might have to donate it's DX with a view to going Deore on the Clockwork in the future. Thinking about a bit of bling stem, saddle and seatpost wise on the Prestige so the original parts might find their way to the Clockwork. We'll see.

Oranges and lemons :cool: signing up to follow, not sure I have ever seen a yellow one before, cool!

Looks in really nice condition and I'll follow this with interest. Still surprised at two showing up on the same day. I've also got an orange/white Prestige (not as nice as yours -yet)!

Good to see it's back in the UK finally. Looking forward to the build, I think the eventual Deore build would be great on such an early 1990's bike.

Edd, Very cool. Adrian

(that prestige isn't bad either :LOL: )

What a trio..... :cool:

Can't wait to see this finished :D

(Adrian's fave footballer is Seamus Coleman hence the name change....... :?: :LOL: )

Back