Need Carlton expert

jkp

Retro Newbie
I recently obtained a Carlson bike- serial #198670, 5 speed, Svelto derailleur, GB88 calipers, Sturmey Archer steel rims, Atom hubs. Top tube has a chrome sticker " Carlton Truwel " Sticker on down tube refers to Truwel 205 ERW high tensile precision tubes.Neat Carlton Worksop head badge.Frame is yellow, with green contrasts. I was attracted to the bike due to the lugs, with I believe are Crespera. Can anyone tell me more about this bike- what model, possibly when it was made. The tubes have a nice "ring " to them when you flick them with your finger nail- hope it rides well. Thanks for any info you can provide. Regards, Kelly

If this is a carlton there must be some letters stamped somewhere as If I remember right W is for a frame made at Worksop then another letter after dates the frame in years. That's from memory...

From what I have been able to ascertain, the numeric serial number would put it between 1968 and 1972. Hardware is Whitworth. I can not find a model name on the bike, unless Truwel is the model, but I presume that refers to the tubing. 27 X 1 1/4 wheels- not a high end bike, but again, I like those lugs. Kelly

Back