Kona - Bottom bracket help

jimmythejamjar

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello

I'm gathering the bits needed to tart up my 1994 lava dome frame (just out of interest is it the same frame as the cinder cone ? - the geometry and spec look the same)

I'm gathering bits and pieces and I'm currently looking for a new BB, I fancy something like a hope or a Royce but I'm not sure about the dimensions.

Why don't you go and measure your current BB ? you're probably thinking.

Because the bike is in the IOM and I'm in Spain until Christmas so I can't measure it. At the minute I'm trawling the wonder web looking for and buying bits.

Can anyone tell me what the correct size is for the bike. I'm pretty sure the BB shell is 68mm wide but not sure on the correct axle length. I'm going to keep the bike true to the era and will fit square taper cranks, most likely XT.

Any help greatly appreciated.

James

If your sure of the shell size and your certain which chain set you going to use , you can look up the correct shaft length using Sheldon Browns database. sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html‎
Hope this is some use to you.

All of the Konas I've owned (6 and counting) have had a 68mm BB shell, so no worries there..

The axle length is really dependent on the cranks that you plan to fit though, older XT or Deore cranks (stamped M730 or MT60) require a 122.5 axle length, but finding a posh bottom bracket in this length is starting to become a tricky exercise. These cranks are also a little old for a '94 frame if you want to do the whole period correct thing.

Newer square taper cranksets tend to need an axle between 110-118mm depending on the brand and you will probably find BB's easier to source. It's probably worth deciding on the cranks that you would like and then checking for axle lengths on the web, there's loads of forums and sites that should be able to tell you what you need - and on here of course ;)

Thanks fellas, that's a big help to me.

It's an English thread I take it ?

I've got my eye on a royce titanium (68 x 113mm) Sure there'll be something to fit that.

The LD and CC use the same tube set. The bb is defo 68mm and English style. Length as indicated is the tricky bit as it's based on your cranks and the resulting chain allignment. Generally 118+ is getting on the long side.

Back