LED light - o-ring mount

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Many of the LED lamps have o-ring mounting - anyone using these and does the lamp stay put?

My LED lamps use a quick release clamp and unless done up quite tight will droop so my gut feel is an rubber o-ring is going to be even worse.

This is the type of o-ring mount I mean.

3706F1_zps5a6681f8.jpg

They look good but as with rubber it soon looses its elasticity as it get weathered & is in a continuous stretching tension mode.

.... well I succumb to ebay and bought a 3 LED lamp (they are available in 4 and 6 LED but I can;t imagine the battery lasts long) - not the one pictured - will update after I have used it.

I do have some clamps from when I made my own LED lamps that probably can be modified to fit.

Better than many proprietary clamps IME - if the light slips, simply buy another O-ring maybe smaller or of a thicker section. A decent grade of rubber or the right size should last for years and is cheap to replace.

I switched mine for a hope universal mount. Small modification for the cable routing depending which way you like the clamp.

I also shortened my cable at the same time as the 'rose' lamp was very long.

It's only a small Allen bolt holding it on.

Mine worked fine on both oversize and normal bars with the o-ring but would slip a bit on harsh bumpy stuff as the padding wore off. The hope mount is much easier if you take it on and off as well.

Never had any issues with the "rubber band" mount myself on a older magicshine - the weight of the lamp unit is fairly central so wasn't constantly trying to dip.

Mine came with two bands, one for narrower diameter bars, one for wider. That it wasn't "locked" in position, also meant you could adjust the angle to suit the conditions off road, and could "dip" easily when on the road/encountering cyclist coming the other way.

Used mine twice off road on night races. First time was dry weather, it was fine and i was pleasantly surprised how secure it was. Second time it was raining and the lamp gradually slipped with the vibrations, i had to keep pulling it up again, it was annoying and a bit dangerous at times (dark, descending, one hand off the grips). Worst of all the movement caused the alloy foot of the lamp with it's inadequately thin foam pad put nasty deep scratches in my previously immaculate 18 year old polished flat bar :x I should've taped the bar first i guess. Maybe this type of fitting is more secure on rough/matt finished bars than polished ones - in the wet.

Back