Best way of removing headset cups

bm0p700f":35283zrh said:
But a headset remover ( a good one that is) makes easy work of this job. Proper tools make the difference when things get difficult and if you are going to work on bikes then why not use the correct tools for the job rather than making do all the time. I have found the screwdriver method takes to much time.

A coupe whacks of a hammer with a proper cup tool and you are done.

All true, but I think he wants to do it this weekend, and probably not something you do that often, if it's the bike the op has been posting about then it steel, so all told I think carefully knocking out the cups would be okay.

Having said that, if there's a spare seat post kicking about, then easy to make the tool as mention upthread.

Getting them back in, now that's more fun!

It is steel, to be honest that particular headset won't be going back in that frame I'll get that pressed in properly !
Last time I did one was 20 odd years ago and it wasn't pretty !

Copper pipe - it's soft enough to not damage either the cups or the headtube, but still transfers enough force to knock them out. Work around the cup, 90 degrees at a time.

Proper tool + two punches with a hammer: 15 seconds each side and no thinking needed. 100% success rate

Hammer + screwdriver: Spend too much time making sure the cup drives out equally, carefully avoiding the screwdriver to damage the cup or the frame...

The tool is just a piece of metal, you can get them for silly money. no brainer to me.

Cheap headcup remover (X-tools for example) I have found are not that good though. The X-tools one I had before I opened the shop when things got difficult used come of the cup. Ihad to on more than one occassion put a seat post or a fork steerer up the removal tool to keep it splayed out. Needless to say I have moved on the the Cyclus tools, these work very well but are more pricey.

Not done this recently but how about making a metak disc with two flat sides so it is narrow enough to drop thru the headst. It then rests on the headset and you whack it with a tube kbowing it wilk nt slip off.

Concept is like them bb30 bearing removal tools.

I fit get through the headset it will not sit on the cups a slottled pipe of a springy steel or similar metal aka a headset cup removal tool is need.

I use an old piece of boom handle, It's hard enough to hit with a mallet and to move the cups, but soft enough that it won't damage the cups.

Cheers
Some great advice, will try it out tomorrow, got two to take out so at least what ever works best on the first I'll get to use on the second !

Back