1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

This Blizzard is one of the most versatile bikes I have. I use it often with road tires on the tarmac, when the local trails here are too muddy or too wet to ride. But it's serving really well on a multi day bike ride with luggage. It has eyelets on the lower stay for a luggage rack and with 2 Ortlieb bags and a tent mounted to that, it still handles really well off road.

I took it for a 7 day bike holiday in the South of the UK, including 2 and a half day riding the South Downs Way from Eastbourne to Winchester. Before I set off, I changed the headset, replaced the bottom bracket for a new UN55 and mounted a standard MT60 crankset. New brakepads and new tyres made sure I would enjoy a retro ride, not curse it :)

Not a single incident during the whole trip, not even a puncture. Some sections of the SDW are heavy stuff, even for modern bikes, but this Blizzard did it all without complaining. Just some lube on the chain each other day as it was very dusty along the route. What fun to ride a great route in great weather on a great bike!

DSC_1115.JPG

DSC_1102.JPG

please fix that cable run and shorten it to a more appropriate length at the rear brakes. everytime i see it, it bugs me! :LOL: ;)

Yeah, it's on the to do list after I've done a full clean and maintenance after this trip :)

Glad I came across this thread. I am picking up a 21.5" blizzard in November and it is also all white with the teal decals, I suspect the catalog paint job was the less common configuration. I need to find a black struts though... that might be difficult.

Excellent! Bring up a build thread! Tange Struts aren't common, but sometimes I see them passing by at Ebay for reasonable prices.

cyclotoine":55rry2zc said:
Glad I came across this thread. I am picking up a 21.5" blizzard in November and it is also all white with the teal decals, I suspect the catalog paint job was the less common configuration. I need to find a black struts though... that might be difficult.

Tange Struts eh? =)

I have a set that are currently in the shop getting a new full length steer tube installed in them... sadly I have no frame for them... possible trades?... he he he

Back