subaru foresters? are they as good as they seem?

raleighrider21":2f3i8cli said:
haha no. not even sure theres automatic one of those and im pretty sure the insurance companies wouldnt know what one is and well just no aha

Hey - don't write them off for the name. If you pulled the badges off, no-one else would know what it was either. They're VERY well respected among off-roaders, and IMO look and drive a lot nicer than the Suzuki SJs. Drop a Pug XUD Turbo in (popular mod) and you're sorted.

Having said that, they didn't come in auto flavour, and unless you're a true petrolhead you probably wouldn't appreciate their road manners. Sorry :p :D

gotta keep the micra until next year, having to buy a new scooter as recently blew my mine up and its not worth repairing anymore.

midlife - that is a nice engine. wanna put it in my micra ? ;)

suburbanreuben":jwgofh39 said:
Not even run in yet!
Ye can't go wrong with a subie 2 litre, as long as the oil's been changed regularly. Not like the 2.5 which was a pile of arse initially.

So is a 2004 2.5 SE Legacy a bad idea then? One for sale locally for under £2k, auto, full leather, vgc 110k miles and service history :D

:?:

highlandsflyer":4mk4a159 said:
I am guessing HM's motor will be in the 3k area?

No about 2k we've had our use and given the circumstances would be happy with that.

might be getting a mk4 fiesta 5 door 1.25 manual non runner for very little money as a project and to adapt for me to learn to drive manual in tomorrow... will see what happens.

Mr Panda":3ig25rlk said:
suburbanreuben":3ig25rlk said:
Not even run in yet!
Ye can't go wrong with a subie 2 litre, as long as the oil's been changed regularly. Not like the 2.5 which was a pile of arse initially.

So is a 2004 2.5 SE Legacy a bad idea then? One for sale locally for under £2k, auto, full leather, vgc 110k miles and service history :D

:?:

The 2.5's from that era are cheap because the are prone to head gasket failure. I believe there was a fix that involved better gaskets and improved earthing of the engine block. If it has service history you could look to see if that work has been done. Apparently the block was only earthed on one side (near the battery) so as the engine is wide (flat 4) a potential difference (voltage) could build across the engine and this could cause electrolysis which turned the coolant acidic. I guess it affects the 2.5 more as there is less distance between the water ways, oil ways and cyclinder bores than with the 2.0 or maybe the 2.0 has better earthing. That's what I remember reading when I was looking at one anyway.

2.0 and 2.5s have same block, just the stroke is different. No technical mods from Subaru that I'm aware of....have worked with Subaru for 15 years and are very robust compared to most modern cars. Go off road (even legacy with limited ground clearance) ace in the snow. Have had 1 x legacy, 2 x outbacks and the missus has a forester T. Like any car get it checked if your spending above £2k by AA/RAC. Outback and legacys from that era are cheap and not that vogue compared to other soft roaders. Engines in my opinion are bomb proof..... My last 04/54 outback did 175,000 miles before I stuffed it...

Back