Removing axle from Mavic 5xx hub

jerkku

Dirt Disciple
Have you ever done it - share your insight.

So what I have is a Mavic 520 rear hub which has a road qr-axle. I would like to take the qr-axle out and replace it with track axle which I have. I'm kinda stuck with the removing. The problem with the current axle is that it has several "bumbs" on it that I wasn't able to find on Mavic catalogues (comparing to these pics of axles). By bumbs I mean the things you can see in the pic below:

9851973166_0d4a6b4b5b_z.jpg

and other side:

9851927404_3d0638336c_z.jpg

It has three of those "bumbs". One you can see on pic and two on the other side. Should I just give it some angle grinder and some hammering to get the axle of or what?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

You should be able to press the axle out pushing from the smaller end (top picture)

You may have to apply some pressure but it will push through, just take care when the 'bump' comes against the inner bearing races

Might also be worth changing the bearings whilst you have the axle in bits, there not expensive and it will save you stripping it down again

I'm curious as to how you will hold the track axle in place, the Mavic axle has very small clips that hold everything together

Meant to say the bearings should be 6001 2RS and cost about £2.00-£3.00 each

47p2":v8vo00wo said:
You should be able to press the axle out pushing from the smaller end (top picture)

You may have to apply some pressure but it will push through, just take care when the 'bump' comes against the inner bearing races

No bearings are attached at this moment as can be seen from the pics. Some pressure is quite well underestimated - tried to give pressure and some gentle hammering. Tomorrow I'll take the proper guns out from the tool shed if I've the same problems in the morning.

e: thanks for the help 47p2!!

Veeerrry good guesting indeed. Did it few weeks back and can't remember how. I started with an axle hammered in the hub so I would guess that I used the axle to pop the bearings out. It was quite easy procedure if I remember correctly.

Started to wonder here, could that bumb in the end (lower pic) be something that is removable? The procedure you suggested above could and will be doable to the other direction but not to the direction you said. The previous owner might have broken a bearing and could that be the inner bearing race.. just guessing here. It kinda seems like it's "loose" part.

The axle is usually a one piece part, if you're not bothering about damaging the axle then you could cut the axle on the inside of the 'bump' with a hacksaw and try pushing it through.

Just checked Google, the 520 hub is a track hub, check this link

Looks like someone has already changed your axle at some time with the wrong one which could be the problem.

Where is the threaded part on your axle? It should be on the side in the top picture :shock:

Yep, it is the track version and it has a wrong kinda axle on it - that's why I'm changing it to a track axle.

Have been wondering the same about the the threaded end of the axle. The new, track axle, has the threading but this doesn't seem to have any. It might be easiest just to cut the end off and push it out.

Well if it had been a genuine Mavic axle I would have advised against cutting as they are getting hard to find, but that looks like a bodge job and the axle is of no use, so go ahead and chop the bump off

Back