Is it best to keep your quality parts or give them away for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is it best just to keep your nice parts or give them awa

What's your point?

You didn't sell them at £270 on here > viewtopic.php?f=2&t=272724

So you ebayed them here > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-231-cd- ... 1292021647 and they 'only' made £80? Few points
-The auction title is poor. Someone else sold a similar set of wheels with far better description for £50 more > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore ... 2c7376cdab . More images and a better description would deffo have helped.
-That is the way it goes with any auction, anywhere. If you don't want to let them go for less than £x set the reserve to £x.
-eBay are up front about their fees, assume you knew this before the auction.

Finally in your advert on here you set out the rims and hubs are NOS. You have ridden them, ergo in my book they are not NOS. I'm not even sure I'd call a rim NOS if built but that's probably splitting hairs...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It depends on the items you sell.

Wheelsets usually don't fetch that much money on ebay. However, if you want to make the most when selling NOS stuff, there is no alternative to ebay.

I try to avoid selling things there. Too risky and too expensive (9% premium for ebay and 5% paypal).

There wasn't much more I could of said about the wheels to be fair, and how many pictures do you take?

You could have indicated you were buying a set of xt m737 hubs with whatever spokes on mavic 231cd wheels. Not just Mavic 231 cd rims. Pics are ok when you actually click through to the auction to be fair.

Was just keen to here other peoples experiences with ebay?

IME it's hit and miss. I got £5 for a Pine Mountain frame, managed to sell a scruffy boat cover for £35 plus postage to a delighted buyer while a really nice cot was unsellable.

I've seen things sell sometimes for more than retail at Spa Cycles.

You win some you lose some. Everyone on eBay wants to buy below market price yet have a bidding war when selling.
If you don't like it, advertise on the small ads here.

I always list stuff on ebay BIN and best offer. You're in control that way ;)

Sorry to get critical, but...
-Pictures aren't that great IMO; phone camera? Better lighting would help.
-As John said, the title is poor. In addition, the auction description itself is misspelled, badly punctuated, just three continuous lines with too many exclamation marks. It won't put everyone off, but it will put many off, reducing your potential market further.
-£20 is way too much postage for a pair of wheels within the UK, it should be more like £10.

The advert John linked to as an example is exactly how it should be done. I know which of the two I'd have been putting in my watch list - I try and make mine like that and recently sold a load of parts from an Audi I broke for a lot more than I thought they would fetch, simply because they were described well with auction titles that would catch a wide range of search criteria.

That, and I find starting bidding at 99p with no reserve often helps as people start bidding in the hope of getting a bargain, then they mentally develop "ownership" of the item and bid past what they would have done had the auction started higher.

No it's not a phone camara , sorry I'm not a pro , lighting? they were outside on a bright day :shock: ,
Punctuality ? Don't be silly, I'm not writing a novel. How this puts people off I don't know, if you know what your after and it looks good your not going to buy it because the spelling maybe slightly wrong or the punctuation is poor. The postage was bang on the money !! The police are out in force tonight , didn't need a lecture on this topic just after a few stories from other people !! Happy days :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back