Landlords and Dogs!! Advice please.

if everyone was as honest and considerate as you there would be a lot less money grabbing landlords pushing the house prices up and you would be able to afford your own place. stop being so considerate and think of you own needs.... or he could come live with me :)

Think you just have to suck it up to be honest. If I had stipulated no pets and you had one I would turf you out as per the contract and also let all other estate agents and renters know in case you tried it on elsewhere. I had similar issues with a cat where my landlord, allbeit years ago, said him or you and I chose me because I liked the place and didn't have time to fanny around moving I put my own needs above my pets.

Remember the food chain...

BertR00t":1dm211j9 said:
I had similar issues with a cat where my landlord, allbeit years ago, said him or you and I chose me because I liked the place and didn't have time to fanny around moving I put my own needs above my pets.

Remember the food chain...

Cats are different from dogs though. They're not at your house half the time and when they are all they do is s**t in next doors garden and scratch the sofas! ;) :LOL:

The problem here is the use of agencies. Plenty people would be happy to let to responsible people with a well behaved dog. Thing is they go to an agency to let their property and the agency can't be bothered with anything but the bog standard No Smokers, Pets or DSS.

I spent an age finding a place I could keep my dogs when I first moved to London. With that in mind any time we have let we have made a point of welcoming pets. You get a longer term let thanks to the tenants normally being more settled and responsible, and a cut above the average as are most who love animals.

For the purposes of getting a place I would say lie, but before taking a place check the neighbours to see if they have dogs and whether there is somewhere for bowser to stretch their legs adequately garden wise.

Then simply wait until found out and then your poorly auntie has gone into a hospice and there is no one to take her woof woof. Unless of course by then you have met the real owner of the property and established a rapport that suggests coming clean may be favourable!

Good luck either way!

If the contract says no dogs and you take one in any way, you are in breach of contract, and they can chuck you out on your ear and you could loose every thing. To quote some old move Do you feel lucky, ?

TheGreenRabbit":1e3y97k9 said:
If the contract says no dogs and you take one in any way, you are in breach of contract, and they can chuck you out on your ear and you could loose every thing. To quote some old move Do you feel lucky, ?

Yes, I'm well aware of the ins and outs of contracts, thanks. And I know that there would be a risk involved, but it's a case of either accepting the risk and greatly improving our chances of finding a house, or being 100% upfront and narrowing our choices down to literally nothing. We'd prefer to rent privately because, as has been mentioned, landlords tend to be more flexible when there isn't a middleman involved, some of whom I'm convinced simply invent the "no dogs" rule for an easy life.

I had to lie ;but coverd all the floors where the dogs go.
when inspection time comes around realy clean up and remove all trace of dogs it was the only way
lie or buy nice understanding folks on here
and before anyone suggest I get rid one dogs 16

To be honest as a Landlord, the problem much of the time is not the pet, but the owner.
And the landlord not knowing you or you standard of living. Sadly Not everyone is the same, and it is far easier to have a blanket NO PETS Policy.

From a landlords point of view, it isnt easy maintaining a property to a high standard, costs wise, and a good landlord will decorate and freshen up before each tenant moves in as a matter of course. maintenance costs money.

You are from what i have read the exception to the rule on the whole.

If 2 months after you moved in, i found you had a dog. Your contract would end without exception. A landlord might take a different view, if you had been an exceptional tenant for a fair period of time, then perhaps an exception could be given, based on your good tenancy value.

Sadly the Landlord has more tenancy choice than in recent years, so they dont have to make exceptions, if you break your contractual agreement, they will simply find another tenant.

Back