Compact Camera Advice - SORTED!!

andyz

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not sure if this is the right place, but I need a cheap-ish compact camera to replace my Canon Suresh*t which now won't focus properly and has a blotch in every picture!

All the super clear photos on this site make me want something better than the Canon, but I really need something quite small and not too expensive, say a max. of £120.

Any ideas?

Many thanks! :D

Re: Compact Camera Advice

I use an old Fuji Finepix s560 for forum pics......cheap as chips used :D Although There is a £400 Nikon kicking around the house.

Finepix isn't small though :(

Shaun

I've had great results with a Panasonic Lumix. It's tiny, well made and takes decent pictures. The AF is fast and doesn't get confused easily. The shutter is a bit slow but it's a good allrounder and brilliant for riding as it fits in a jersey pocket very comfortably. I have an old Lumix DMC-FX35, 5 years old but still my first pick when leaving the house. later ones are even better.

Fujis seem always a bit faster on the shutter, but the Fuji F810 I have is a bit short on battery size and slower than the Panasonic to focus.

panasonic lx3,.. leica lens, takes really great, sharp photos.. in daylight almost as good as an dslr
think you can get one within the 120£ on ebay...as they have lx5, and lx7 out now.
incl 2 pics taken with the lx3, one of my look kg 66 in Nyhavn, Copenhagen, just before i was run down by a car..!
(no, not the classic car in pic 2)

Attachments

• 12-08-05 (10).JPG
    12-08-05 (10).JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Look kg 66. 12-06-19 (1).JPG
    Look kg 66. 12-06-19 (1).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 290

These Panasonics seem to be rather popular, I'll have to check them out and report back! :D

Many thanks!

I, too, have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20. Great camera with a fantastic Leica lens that zooms 20X- 24mm-480mm equivalent. It's quite small and has worked well for the last year I have owned it, fits right into a back jersey pocket- all my pics on Today's Ride are taken with it, as well as published photos in a German MTB magazine. The price in the US is about $230.00

FairfaxPat":qr4jdg5b said:
I, too, have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20. Great camera with a fantastic Leica lens that zooms 20X- 24mm-480mm equivalent. It's quite small and has worked well for the last year I have owned it, fits right into a back jersey pocket- all my pics on Today's Ride are taken with it, as well as published photos in a German MTB magazine. The price in the US is about $230.00

Thanks Pat, the Lumix DMC-ZS20 is now top of my shopping list. For some reason they called it the DMC-TZ30 in Europe, but its the saem camera.

Many thanks guys! :D

Step away from anything made by Vivitar, they are hounds that don't last, boast big pixels numbers but undo it with rubbish lenses. I've had two against my better judgement. Mind you for £120 you'll get something way classier than a Vivitar. Maybe go for something thats weatherproof, so you don't have to worry about it getting too wet when you are riding. Avoid one with a seperate underwater case though, as the buttons are usually really stiff so you get blurred shots. Think about the lens above everything. My beloved old Konica only had 5 mp but the lens was superb and made for some really great looking shots. Is it Panasonic that fits Zeiss lenses in their compact cameras?

Latest posts

Back