What is the best cantilever cable hanger?

FSXStumpy":2vbxa791 said:
Beautiful! Never seen one of those before! Did you market them?

J

I did a lot of prototype stuff back at the start of 90's then got in to MTB's and did these, a company called RAD Components marketed them for a short while, but the V brake killed the market off almost over night.

I did a lot of prototype stuff back at the start of 90's then got in to MTB's and did these, a company called RAD Components marketed them for a short while, but the V brake killed the market off almost over night.
TIME WARP...BAM!

With the desire for retro builds becoming more popular by the week, dare I say...day, maybe you need to produce these small kind? Or at the very least...do you have a set kicking around somewhere? I would be interested in snagging a set. I am curious too what they weigh per unit?

Fit a front reflector....or a bolt through the forks...or turn yourself something nice and classy with a bobble at the end.....no more arse over bars cable stuff.

Lots of potential arguments pending but the Shimano wide canti of old doesnt care what hanger you use, it just stops you safely and quickly with all the modulation you could possible want.

Until it gets wet...

The other problem is that they stick out a bit and can catch your heels on the rear.

br-m62, 732, mt60 etc

The next argument is that 'v-brakes' didnt appear until around 1995 for the '96 season so you appear to have a time machine - we want it!

I just use the standard Shimano/ Dia-comp 'hook' style as they haven't really failed me yet.

m4nAM7j_kpGvhryL6aR5Hzg.jpg

There are these which are for low pro cantis

$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG+FPBRLto,KJQg~~60_35.JPG

These lock the cable down but can make removing the wheel more difficult

$(KGrHqYOKiIE31QRwu4mBOH0cpHdoQ~~_35.JPG
Wide cantis up front. Low profile at the seat stays. Mix and match.

I am sure I read somewhere that a wide hanger helps the 'angles' ?

I prefer the type you can clamp onto the cables - makes centralising stuff easier and longer lasting :D

WD :D
Wide hangar changes geometry and is well suited to drop bar levers which suposedly pull more cable. I heard it and i am not 100% but it makes sense.

Wide hangar changes geometry and is well suited to drop bar levers which suposedly pull more cable. I heard it and i am not 100% but it makes sense.
They pull pretty much the same as I recall. Wide hangers are nice to bring rear cantis in for better heel clearance. Just my 2 cents..

They pull pretty much the same as I recall. Wide hangers are nice to bring rear cantis in for better heel clearance. Just my 2 cents..
Wide on the rear? You mean wide on the front and narrow on the rear? For example, Critical Racing made two cantilever types: short/wide & tall/narrow. The premise was simply having two variations to appeal to buyers that had the similar braking force, but inadvertently riders found you got basically the same (or slightly better short/wide) mechanical advantage between the two types and a short/wide front & tall/narrow rear combination was desired. The rider could buy the brand they liked, had good braking force up front and good, maybe decent in the rear BUT the tall/narrow also allowed the heal of the foot to clear the brake arm during upstroke of the crank arms.

With the desire for retro builds becoming more popular by the week, dare I say...day, maybe you need to produce these small kind? Or at the very least...do you have a set kicking around somewhere? I would be interested in snagging a set
Not much use to you but I've a set and they're great, no idea what they weigh though. Essential to have an open cable hanger on some brake types and these are perfect.

Latest posts

Back