ss crank recomendation

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
im looking at building a 1x9 mtb for road use mainly, can anyone recomend a nice looking ss crank set that wont brake the bank ? shimano is a no go as the bike being built is shimano free :cool:
cheers
mark

hamster":2nz0ipem said:
Middleburn Uno. Light, strong and you can even swap spider at some future date.
ooooh looks pretty cool :D a bit thin on the ground by the looks of it but will keep my eyes peeled for a set, cheers

I'd just buy any later cranks (RS7/:cool: and then the Uno ring separately. The spiders go for good money secondhand so are easy to sell on, In the meantime, pop a single ring on the spider.

All depends on the size of the bank. Middleburns are lovely but not really a cheap option.

Compared to the number of £200+ chainsets around these days, Middleburns are quite good value, about the same as XT, but point taken!

hamster":22pwp3ok said:
Compared to the number of £200+ chainsets around these days, Middleburns are quite good value, about the same as XT, but point taken!

I suppose the real difference is that stuff like Middleburn holds it's value in the 2nd hand market a lot better. You can pick up 2nd hand XT etc for a decent price as it comes as original fit on a lot of bikes and gets swapped out.

got a couple of middleburn cranks in ebay watch on bidding now but looks like your right on prices tazio they are a bit expensive on the buy now option considering i need to buy the ring as well and may stretch the bank a little , also prefare the black ones to compliment the build theme and they seem to be less available and command a higher price , will just have to play this as it goes along see if one becomes available within budget,
also like the looks of the race face cranks but again they seem to command good money but not sure on how good they are ? any thoughts on them ?

Back