1988/9 Team Marin

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
This arrived at Kawasaki Towers today - sold as a repainted '1988 Team' made from Tange Prestige, although I have my doubts. Cannot find any references to 1988 catalogues etc. but assumed that it'd have a chainstay u-brake for that period. Anyone any light to shed?

Attachments

• 1988 Marin Team Tange Prestige.JPG
    1988 Marin Team Tange Prestige.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,160
Re: 1988 Marin Team

That's a HUGE frame! Looks like a Tange frame by the dropouts alone. Nice find if it is a Team Marin

Been a long time since I had my Team Marin, but that looks to be an early 90's frame to me.

That's a 21'' by the looks? I had a 19'' and remember that it had a 23.5'' top tube and felt 'roomy'. What ever year It's going to ride nicely. Are you going to keep it period correct then?

al.

A loose interpretation of 'period' yes - not a slave to the 'catalogue'... ;-)

heres a biggie for reference:

dsc00934_143.jpg

legrandefromage":3cark4ey said:

Strangely enough, that ended up being mine, went to MrK who used it as a polo 'whip' and is now back with me. Not sure about the relevance to the query about whether the frame that started the thread is a Marin Team mind although irrelevance has never stopped me before.....

Think I've seen that before and my feeling is that in 1988 the Pine Mountain was top of the range and lugged Prestige: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=242107

In 89 the range expanded and it took a step down, losing the lugs/Prestige: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=213879

This frame is definitely pre-90 so I'd say it's a 1989 Team Marin, the top-tube rear-mech routing being a Team signature.

So basically it's kosher and if they bought it in 88 it was as an 89 model ;) Must be a rare beast, this is only pic of one anywhere:

4250726040_bce27526fc_b.jpg

I remember an 88 team on eBay six months or so ago. I think seller said owned from new. It was large and red too, looked very similar to this - not the proto-zolatone 89 colour - though you mention this is repainted. Perhaps painted similar to original?

Edit: and I see this was on eBay around that time but I'm fairly sure the one I remember was original paint and decals - anyone else remember it?

Information kindly sent to me by the eBay seller on his/my Team Marin 1988:

Model year before the first Zolatones, bought from Elmy Cycles in Ipswich at an RRP of £995 - that's £2250 in today's values.

Tange Prestige.

Came in light grey/black forks with pink decals/stem/bars - see blurry picture.

Since then it was resprayed then stolen and recovered in 1991. The rear wheel had been ripped out necessitating replacement Campagnolo drop-outs by Buck Cycles in Ipswich. Repainted again in the current deep red in 1997.

Re-reading the info on this and linked to the thread, I'm inclined to favor it's an 89 model bought at the end of 88, partly because it's not lugged and it doesn't have a chainstary-mounted u-brake.

Attachments

• Marin Team 1988.jpeg
    Marin Team 1988.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 815
Rather than a non-existent catalogue build, I think I'll head in this general aesthetic direction...

Attachments

• Joe Murray.jpg
    Joe Murray.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 800
Back