Highpath Hi-Lite off-road bicycle for sale

I have always intended, but never got around to writing up the history of the bicycles made by Highpath Engineering. But here is a very brief summary that will help to put this bike in context.

Summer 1984: Cleland Cycles Ltd forced to stop production by the deliberate action of Ron Kitchings Ltd. By this time, David Wrath-Sharman, a Sculptor/Engineer and vintage car restorer who had bought a Cleland Aventura in 1983, had already started improving his bike. Years of promotion and marketing by Apps meant that there was a demand for Clelands but no supply so D W-S responded to requests to make Clelands for other people by setting up Highpath Engineering in his garden shed workshop in Highpath road, Guildford.
The first Highpath produced Cleland was made in 1985. But there was no Apps style £430 per bike, batch production here. At Highpath every bike was a unique, one-off design to fit each prospective owners requirements and riding style, resulting in £2000 price tags. And due to the high quality and reputation of these bikes there was soon a one year waiting list. But David was not happy with simply making bikes to order so he started to experiment. Designing and evolving more and components and frame designs until every bike built became a unique prototype. The most radical designs were made by David for his own use and evaluation. In 1989, David and Highpath Engineering moved to a watermill in mid Wales. There he concentrated on designing, developing and prototyping bicycles, human powered vehicles, and bicycle components.

This 1986 Highpath Hi-Lite can be considered to be the next step in frame design after the Aventura. It has the same basic geometry but offers a lower step-over height and a lighter, yet torsionally stiffer frame. I may be wrong, but I think this bike may be the first Hi-Lite that David built. Subsequently the Hi-Lite frame became the preferred design for the majority of Highpaths and Cleland style frames were only made when this was specifically requested by the purchaser.

lovely bit of british cycling history there.... thanxeverso once again GJW
as for the price tag, in the right hands this is priceless mate priceless

"Priceless" as in which definition?

"1. having a value beyond all price; invaluable; precious: a priceless artwork.
2. delightfully amusing or absurd: a priceless anecdote."

Artwork it ain't, so 2. looks nearer the mark!

Could we have less comment on the pricing please! I think we all know the guidelines by now. Seller, I think you have had some feedback on the bike, if you could read the rules and regs on selling and contact a mod to unlock when you are ready.

Theres a lot of more than just surface rust there requiring quite a few hours restoration - I took the time to look at the pics before asking a quite reasonable question as to where the £4.5k bike was.

high%20012w.jpg

high%20009w.jpg

Sorry but thats how I see it

legrandefromage":ldwaulka said:
So there is a tired rusty, filthy bike pictured, what about the £4.5k bike? Where is that?

My Mistake I didn't read that as a Question, I took it as a "Sarcastic Dig" at the seller :roll: to be Fair...... :roll:

As for taking the time to look at the pics,. Even now I cant see Terminal Rust...? As I said, some light fettling perhaps, or at worst the two paint options suggested, Both Minimal cost Options.

no-one has mentioned 'terminal' but thats not the sort that will just buff out. the surface will be pitted and require a lot of time and effort.

Hi

This bike has been mechanically maintained and never polished. Its for riding - not for stable gazing.
( I don't find a need to clean my car either. - I once took the car to the VW garage - they do a pre-service check - the report came back " Too Dirty to Inspect") The Highpath is not that bad!

The suggestion of polishing deliberately dull finished anodised aluminium hubs that have been turned from the solid is absurd. You probably only need to jet wash the hubs. It would be stupid to want to replace spokes on symmetrically dished and laced wheels that still run true!

Does no one have any questions or serious queries regarding this machine? - it needs to be ridden not polished.

legrandefromage":16s8smx3 said:
no-one has mentioned 'terminal' but thats not the sort that will just buff out. the surface will be pitted and require a lot of time and effort.

So if after fettling it, you werent happy..... £30 worth of powder, No Effort No Time NO MONEY.

Problem still gets Solved.

End.

Back