Yet another Kona...

The forks are reduced down to 100mm but I'm running them with about 1/3 sag bringing the a-c down to about 440. That only kicks the head angle back by about 1 - 1.5 degrees over the original 410mm P2s. It's not that noticeable just spinning around the street but we'll see after a proper ride. I wouldn't be adverse to reducing it down to 80mm though. Alternatively, I'm looking to reduce the stem length from 110mm to 90mm to see how that works.

The paint job is awesome! It was powder coated by Griff's Reality Motorworks in Bristol. Turn around was about a 1.5 weeks, the finishing is superb and it only cost £55!

I'm well happy!

The only problem I've found so far is that the rear brake squeals like a banshee on speed. I'm hoping that it's because the pads and discs are new and haven't seen any mud yet...

Well, apart from the odd trundle around the streets I've not had that much of an opportunity to give this thing a proper baptism. Until tonight that is.

Man alive, this things fast! It took a little getting used to being back on a hard tail from a 6 inch full sussed but once I'd got that sorted, it felt like I was absolutely flying! It's got 100mm on the front and it's a hooligan of a bike. I reckon the stem could do with shortening to sharpen up the handling on the climbs (I've got a 90mm to try) but apart from that, it's phenomenal!

I'm a very happy retro bike convert! :) Can't wait to get out on it tomorrow night as well.

The bike's still going strong but is considerably less clean now! I've encountered very few problems to be honest.

It has unshipped the chain once in about a 1/2 a dozen rides, and that was on a fast and very rooty descent. I'm willing to drop a chain every few rides in order to maintain the clean lines without a guide.

I tried it with a 0 degree rise stem but the front was too high and would need the forks to be reduced down to about 80mm. a 120mm -8 degree stem looks weird but it keep the front low, opens up the bike for a more xc feel and the steering is still surprisingly sharp.

Lovely bike!

Quick update: in its new guise as a commuter...

946016_10151924498419839_526724535_n.jpg

Fair one. That said, it's managed one end of Wales to the other as well as a week guiding around Brechfa without me dying in a mess of broken welds, snapped tubes and general mass destruction. Of course, that's not to say it won't snap at some point - I'll report back if it does. :)

Alpha1653":3eepug6w said:
Fair one. That said, it's managed one end of Wales to the other as well as a week guiding around Brechfa without me dying in a mess of broken welds, snapped tubes and general mass destruction. Of course, that's not to say it won't snap at some point - I'll report back if it does. :)

No need to report back, when it goes I will hear it. :mrgreen:

Back