Help with a Carlton

And the more I look at the decal near the headset the more i'm convinced it says clubman. Was this a model in itself? Any details or brochures for a late 70s one? Would it have come in all chrome?

wherespaultoday":3g1qeb2e said:
I've just checked again and there's nothing on either side of the rear stay or on the top of the seat post. I saw on a website that there was a short period in the late 60s where there was just a 7 digit number on the bb.

"From 1968 to 1972 two numbering systems were used. The majority of models had simple numbers, up to seven digits, sometimes with leading zeros, stamped on the left rear dropout, at the top of the seat tube to the rear or under the bottom bracket. I do not have sufficient data to analyse these numbers and relate them to specific years."

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm

Well that places the cycle in 68-72 time period. :D

Between 1968 and 1972 CArlton sort of lost the plot on numbers..........and your frame likely dates from then. Not a Cobra though as that had Crespera lugs (I had one :) )

Shaun

Looks a bit like an all chrome International as well.............. Blimey Carlton liked their Chrome / acrillichrome / imichrome :D

Shaun

Midlife":216qwy3g said:
Looks a bit like an all chrome International as well.............. Blimey Carlton liked their Chrome / acrillichrome / imichrome :D

Shaun

They did and at time it gets somewhat confusing too.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys. The more I look at it the more I think it's probably a Cobra but I have seen that the Internationals made in 1971 had plain lugs. What's confusing me are the olympic rings hear the headset. Unfortunately the writing is really bad. It might say Cobra or something else. Or it might say catalina. Having read that Carlton were using plainer lugs on the international in 71, 72 then it's possible it happened on other models too.

Were the rings only used for the catalina model or for others as well? And does anyone know what the X number after the 7 digit serial means?

I'll try and take more pictures tomorrow in daylight.

Back