Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves returns 2022

Re: Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves

The History Man":d53dlrnp said:
Very little on the interweb, other than location, and name or links back to bikes and frames.

Would be nice to know more.

Moving Swiftly Forward.

On top of all the Info I have given previously.

Here are the contact details I have for Charlie. Im unsure if it is still current or not as I haven't been around it all for about a decade if not longer, but if it is current it might be nice if you would like to know more first hand.

Worth a shot, You never Know... :cool:

Charlie Ralph: Tel: 01343 860382

charlie.ralph@btinternet.com

Thanks for that. Will drop him a message once I know what I'm talking about. So could be a while eh?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 275

Well, looks like I missed all the fun on here today, I was down at Haldon riding the Fuquay... and very nice it was too.

Not too long to wait now THM. ;)

Lovely.

It is one of the "holey" ones isn't it? The lugs have lots of drilling?

this is what i had in mind when i mentioned Saracen and no big S

Attachments

• sari 7.jpg
    sari 7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 237
  • sari 4.jpg
    sari 4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 237

That's very nice. Food for thought. Will put it together with what i've got for now and see how it looks. I have a brooks knocking about somewhere......

nice! i think i saw that being built in his shed many many moons ago!
i spent a lot of time out at elginsprings with charlie talking bikes and watching him build bikes (two for me!) :D he was quite a man in demand once upon a time, building machines as varied as olympic time trial bikes, tandems, trikes, hand-crank bikes as well as road and mtb frames.
started doing his own painting too eventually, drying them in a metal wardrobe with a burner to heat them up! did a not too bad job either!
unfortunately that was an era now long gone.
charlie gave up the frame building for the joys of offshore work in africa, met someone new and started a new life leaving all his family and past behind.
here's a pic of my ALVES 853, my earlier 531 frame was karma'd to a friend of a friend in edinburgh!
the frame is still wearing the same paint (the green of which we mixed to match wildgrippers!) but is hanging forlornly in my shed waiting for a rainy day to be rebuilt!
cheers!

Back