Anyone know about wireless CCTV

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
We have a couple of horses that live on (our) land a couple of miles from our house. This summer we have had intruders onto the land who have been seen, identified and reported to the Police. Unfortunately, without photo's there is not much we can do... and even with photo's there is not much.

Figuring the intruders didn't want to risk of being caught, I put up a dummy CCTV camera and stuck the obligatory CCTV notice on the gate, this seems to have stopped any further intrusions, for now.

However, my feeling is that next spring, if the people concerned are still around, the whole situation will kick off again, and so I have just started to look at wireless CCTV cameras, and quickly realised that despite my technical background, I have almost no idea what I am looking at / for.

So, anyone in the trade? Or able to advise on what I should look for and how much I should pay.

I would actually like something pretty discreet, as I would dearly love to catch the people in the act.

I am deliberately being vague about the nature of the trespass, but will say that it is nothing... distasteful or painful to the horses, if it were, I would have taken time off work to ensure I caught them.

Have you thought about a wildlife camera trap? The units are small, well camouflaged and take a series of stills - they also use minimal power and can last several days.

Not teaching a granny to suck eggs, but go careful if you plan to catch them in the act. At least take a few burly mates with you :)

Depends on the range of the sensor, as the field is 2.5 acres, split into two paddocks.

Potentially the horses and trespassers could be 80 to 90 yards from the camera.

widowmaker":uhu8sywd said:
Not teaching a granny to suck eggs, but go careful if you plan to catch them in the act. At least take a few burly mates with you :)

Physical contact is an absolute no no in this situation, a photo is a much more powerful option.

For starters you want :

Night time vision.
Colour camera/s - Not Black & White.
Auto On/Off recording.
Hard drive recording system - Not tapes.

Place the camera's in a not too visible place and well out of reach.

Maplins do a good range...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/productsearch?criteria=cctv

http://www.maplin.co.uk/productsearch?c ... ctv+camera

We have a wired system on our house and the quality is like watching normal tv right up until 400 yards away,
so don't go for any cheap crap as you'll only regret when the 'see' the culpret on the screen but thats it!
Its a person and you can't even make them out due to the shite clarity of the camera.

edit'
Our hard drive system can be viewed on our TV screen which has six split screens and all six cameras
can record independently, comes with a mouse for quick on screen use and a remote to record, also
the hard drive can be edited on to make you aware that any one camera has been activated and has
started to record, this is a bloody good thing as you can catch any fookers in on the act, instead
of finding out the next day you had intruders, saves time looking through the card.

I had a look at Maplin's web site, looks like a visit to one of their stores could be a good move.

NeilM":ible2uwr said:
I had a look at Maplin's web site, looks like a visit to one of their stores could be a good move.
Maplins is an excellent place for starters just tell them your'e requirements and they are will to talk you through
a system suitable for the job, Its a little confusing setting it all up but once its up and running you can just
set it to record 24/7 if you like and it runs a loop system so if nothing happens it will carry on recording.

The spilt screen is brilliant as there is no need for 'other' TV's

24/7 would be the intention.

It would be no good going for movement detection, hoping to save on battery life, as horses move about all the time. :mrgreen:

NeilM":3po6rxdl said:
24/7 would be the intention.

It would be no good going for movement detection, hoping to save on battery life, as horses move about all the time. :mrgreen:

Think outside the box and staple their hooves to the ground.

Back