Different rims sizing issue ????

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Evening

I am confused - again :oops: :facepalm:

I am looking at replacing the original rims on my Marin with ones I had kicking around the loft.

The thing is the rims are narrower than the originals, the originals were 1.08" and the ones I wanted to fit are 0.85" , will this cause any issue with setting up the cantilevers brakes ?

And also will this restrict the choice of tyres, or will the 26 x 2.1 tyres that I planned to fit still be ok ?

A couple of dumb questions to add to my tally :)

You'll have to adjust the canti's to accomodate the narrower rim, to be sure, but there will be no issues with either brake compatibility (assuming the rims are for rim brakes) or tire fit. Nothing to worry about.

J

FSXStumpy":2impftwy said:
You'll have to adjust the canti's to accomodate the narrower rim, to be sure, but there will be no issues with either brake compatibility (assuming the rims are for rim brakes) or tire fit. Nothing to worry about.

J

Thanks mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good old Retrobike, 6 minutes from typing to getting an answer :cool:

I just wanted to check I had not missed anything daft.

I have been thinking :facepalm:

What's the idea behind narrower rims then ? Weight saving ?

And are they any weaker/tougher for proper off road use ?

Narrower rims tend to have a deeper 'section' which can be more resilient in some ways. I'm not sure that weight loss has much to do with it.

IMHO, narrower rims, like the Mavic 231, cause the tire to adopt a more fully round profile. The rim is tucked further from the passing nasty things, and is better protected from damage. The fully round tire may ride somewhat more nicely, having more "spring" to it.

In general, similar weight double wall rims will be narrower than single wall rims, and will be stiffer.

J

FSXStumpy":11a9u8um said:
IMHO, narrower rims, like the Mavic 231, cause the tire to adopt a more fully round profile. The rim is tucked further from the passing nasty things, and is better protected from damage. The fully round tire may ride somewhat more nicely, having more "spring" to it.

In general, similar weight double wall rims will be narrower than single wall rims, and will be stiffer.

J

Interesting - thanks chap :)

wider rims present more of the tyre's tread to the trail, increasing grip and traction.

The only decent set of rims I have are the narrower ones, so I will have to run with them.

Ill give my report on any difference I feel :)

Back