New Project

You cut this bike from a tree! That had me hooked from there....
This is fast becoming my favourite thread ever :D
I look forward to how this pans out. Chapeau fella, seriously...

zetecmk2":3s97n1t2 said:
nice one paul....i'm sure we can sort paint :)
i take it this one's a keeper?

ever thought about buying something and NOT modding it? ha ha!!

Nah, whats the fun in that and like you say It's only metal.

A Bit of progress. Chainstays tacked in, bottom bracket height checked, wheel width set at 130 and stays levelled an aligned with front tubes. Next job to tack seat stays to lock it in place, recheck and fully silver solder the chainstays and bridge piece.

531 stays with Suntour dropouts vintage 1984 seemed right for the job.

i love it....after all it's only pipes...ha ha looking great!...in fact, looking like a typical pauln build!!!
is that the front room? claire must love you soo much!

Frames all brazed up. Just put the wheels on for a confidence booster, all looks nice and straight;

The old chainstays were horrible and fell apart on removal (a good choice to scrap;

I have got the bits to build new front forks but I've replaced enough already so i'm not sure I should use them (I bought them because i'd never done forks before and wanted a go);

Heres the scrap pile;

Lots of cleaning up to do now.

A bit of progress, chainstay and brake bridges now fitted. I'm just doing a pre paint assemble to fine tune my choice of components. This also give me a chance to dither over the paint. I'm trying to slow down a bit as theres no rush to finish. It's currently a 9 speed 11-32 xt cassette, ultegra rear mech, 105 octalink 53/39. sunrace front mech and suntour powershift levers on the stem. Weinmann centrepulls and levers go back on to stop things but I may move the brake bridge and fit a 610 in place of the 750.

I bought some Suntour powershift levers for another bike secondhand and really liked them and then I found an e-bay seller selling new old stock and I couldn't stop myself. 3 clicks on the ratchet is one step on a 9 speed cassette;

I decided to build the forks mainly because shortening the puch fork means burning off the only paint reference I have. I'm quite happy with the fork so I may use it;

Paintwise i'm thinking laquer over primer and sorting the colour next year.

Edit for Sunday, I cabled the brakes, put some pedals on and went for a short run. It feels good, a nice easy comfortable ride. Turns out the 750 has plenty of stop but i'm not happy with the cable routing. The saddle will go in favour of a Brooks Colt.

Re: New Project Paint test

Much as I fancy the idea of Maximum Application painting my bike I can't help but want to do everything myself so heres my test with posh rattle cans (2k matt base and laquer). I think the Puch was more Cadbury purple but this dark purple look nice so I'm likely to stick with it.

Stunning work, I can't believe i missed this thread for so long!
It has been nice to be able to read through from it being part of a tree to a bike in five minutes though.

where do you get lugs and tubes from?

Back