Frontiera XT

Yeah thanks guys, its really nice. Its basically unused, every part fitted is super clean and fresh.

Need to get that Specialized water bottle cage off, and fit some toe clips.

It needs a tune up, then I will give it a longer ride. So far i have only rolled up and down the street and it seemed quite livley.

Hopefully you guys can spot clues which might reveal some secrets. The frame number, possibly suggests 1990.

Other internet searches have mentioned Woodrups and MSteel providing Borders with frames. I have never seen mention of Roberts with Borders so i dont think itss from there, but my gut reaction just based on the wish bone, the collar and the way the seat stay is cut away made me think of them at least.

anyway i'm sure the power or RB will kick in and help this bike find its history!

Lovely bike Nick, I was a bit annoyed to see it pulled off ebay, but having now found out it was you makes it not so bad!

Are those fillets raw, or filed? They look quite raw, that might give some clues as to the maker.

Cheers,
Andrew

I will take a closer look and think about it as i look, but my original impression last night was, smoothed where they can be see, pretty raw where out of sight. So left raw under the BB shell, but quite tidy around the headtube and wishbone.

having said that, in general the workmanship is not, in my view, as tidy as some i have seen, which made we wonder if this could be something like a name builders "seconds" so to speak, not sure if thats anywhere near, as i have read that (Dave Yates for example), pretty much anything that goes wrong in the fabrication process can be sorted, so maybe the concepts of "seconds" is false.

I'm sure some of the guys here will be able to enlighten us

Lovely and looks as Fresh as if it were just built....!

Another great buy, and another that's nice to see going to be kept completely intact and not broken for parts.

I think if the Owner of Boarder cycles were watching he might just have a warm feeling right now.... :cool:

The rear wishbone id say shared the same supplier as the lovely Overburys that's just come up for sale too.

The frame number stamp is the Same as the Formula, the Donohue and your Campag Equipped Fronteria as are the stems, so it all says TWG to me.

No imposter or substandard build, I would guess a newer model/progression (given the wishbone, loss of U brakes and more importantly the mag tubing), and typically built to hit a price point to remain competitive to be fair, especially given what Orange were knocking out the Clockworks for by this time.

You have from the North, You have from the Midlands, Now you need from the South....., That Sexy Overburys is "calling" my friend.

:cool:

And im going to need to open a cool store Just so I can invite everybody down for a Heritage "REVIVAL" weekend exhibition.

Fcuk there are some very collectable UK bikes finally on this site now, Giom, Andrew, Cranitope, Adrian, Nick, just to mention a few of the top of my head. I suspect we could reach numbers close to 100 plus British Bikes, all handbuilt right here in the Uk.... :cool:

And to think a little over five years ago, very little attention was being paid to what was sat here right in front of us. (IF at all... :facepalm: )

And to my mind ALL thanks to Retrobike.

Bryncrug72":2xln0elj said:
sinnerman":2xln0elj said:
And im going to need to open a cool store Just so I can invite everybody down for a Heritage "REVIVAL" weekend exhibition.

Perhaps we should organise one ?

I have had a couple of emails actually from Interested members, and one good Suggestion was to Hire a Venue.
I must confess I have a favour or two im sure I could call in that may be Beneficial to all Parties Concerned.

That is a gorgeous looking bike and in amazing condition, I really like the colour scheme.
I think the black seat post looks better !

sinnerman said:
You have from the North, You have from the Midlands, Now you need from the South....., That Sexy Overburys is "calling" my friend.

It was, it did ! :D

sinnerman":3ayb77s1 said:
Bryncrug72":3ayb77s1 said:
sinnerman":3ayb77s1 said:

Perhaps we should organise one ?

I have had a couple of emails actually from Interested members, and one good Suggestion was to Hire a Venue.
I must confess I have a favour or two im sure I could call in that may be Beneficial to all Parties Concerned.

I think that's a fantastic idea. I can't think if anything cooler than seeing all those British steel mtb's under one roof.

I would pay good money for that... :D

I would too, but would be nice for it to be FREE FOR ALL, especially those that have taken the trouble to Exhibit there bikes, You included G. :cool:

Back