Collection tomorrow of my first Mercian, Cant wait!!!

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Tomorrow morning I will parting with some hard earned cash, but it will be made all the easier as im buying my first Mercian!!!
To say i'm exited is a understatement :D , i've got some nice Campagnolo parts that ill be swapping to add to its beauty.
Here are some pictures of it below ill be adding more pictures once its been cleaned and polished:

mercian4.jpg

mercian1.jpg

mercian3.jpg

mercian2.jpg

Ill keep you posted

Neil

Class :)

Sorry to harp on again about Mercian / Woodrup / Bob Jackson / Harry Quinn etc. but step back 35 years plus and to this day they made some very nice frames. Always crisp, clean and a joy to work with.

I'll leave Quinn aside but they never "sold out" their name to make money selling shoddy frames on the back of their names... Mercian always looked very elegant, look at the fork rake, just a gentle sweep :)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever as they say :)

Shaun

Thanks for the great comments, got the bike home today, Looks even better in the flesh!! its stripped down now for a clean and polish, then ill be away,

More pics to follow :D :D :D :D :D

Neil

Update:

The Mercian was built in 1998,

Ive split the bike down and cleaned/polished all the parts,

At the moment the running gear is all Shimano RX100 16 speed, but id like to fit it up running all Campagnolo, my question is can anybody give some advise on what age relevant Campagnolo parts would/ could be fitted to the bike.

Any advise would be great,

Neil

I'd say Campagnolo Record 9 Speed would be the period correct choice for a frame that age, if you want to go for top end stuff of the time.

Some of their modern groups still look nice, too, e.g. Athena in silver finish.

Classic 1970's-80's Super Record would look good too.

I'd go with post-2001 Campag 9 speed. Sourcing the ergos and rear mech is much simpler that way. Avoid anything with carbon on it, and personally I'd stick with square taper chainset. It's all pretty timeless stuff and won't jar with the frame.

Try to get Record hubs and headset, they have the little grease ports and need almost zero maintenance as regreasing them also purges the bearings.

Back