Peugeot 653 Athena (Fully Finished 19th Aug)

Re: Peugeot 653 Athena (Few more bits arrive 25th July)

Cheers Guys

Nathanm, nope not doing on it by halves, the original plan was to do it slowly and to do it with used parts but when I started looking around and saw how much nos there was out there I got carried away and I think its a combination of the weather and having the frame here that has made me do it quick rather than slow.

531 pro, I've read your thread on current Peugeot and have to say what a great looking bike it is, your right thou its really hard to find the rear gears. The 1st one I bought arrived and went up to 32t which just looked silly managed to sell that on now thou and only came out of it a fiver down. The one on the bike now is a free wheel. I managed to find a nos ultegra one in the size I wanted. I could have got an 8spd one on there but the gear levers are only 7 and as the bike says 14 spd index on the rear I thought I'd keep it 14. I did actually have this ones big brother 753 frame when I was 15 but never finished it. In fact I bought this thinking thats what it was as its been so long and thought maybe it was a 653 I had back then. Of course I now know it wasn't. But thats why I decided to build it as I would have back then. And I know some will shoot me down but I always did prefer the way Shimano looked over Campag.

Any pics of your Athena yet ?

Re: Peugeot 653 Athena (Small update 1st Aug)

The friendly postman bought me this today, been waiting on it a while. Its a move away from the rest of the Shimano stuff but its what I had then, what I wanted again and is period.

Just need to decide what colour bar tape now, I orderd some cinelli white cork gel stuff but didn't like the way it felt so now have some pink old school bar ribbon on order as a bit of a nod to the Z team. If I don't like that then I think it will be old school white bar ribbon.

Re: Peugeot 653 Athena (Small update 1st Aug)

Still waiting for the wheels to be completed :( really want to get out on this.

Its costing me money having it sat around as I keep adding to it and changing bits lol, lastest item is a Campag athena areo seat post, thought I may as well as I have the bottle and because its the post I had back in the day.

So a un-used shimano 600 ultegra one will soon be up for sale.

Picked the completed wheels up on Friday, and couldn't wait to get home and finish the bike.

Took me a little while getting my head back around get the mechs to work correctly with the indexed levers and getting the brakes to sit nicely in the middle but I did it and its altogether.

Just waiting for my shoes so I can take it for its / my madien ride.

Comments welcome:

Would also like to give a big thanks to Richard at "on two wheels" in Bourne End who did a fantastic job building the wheels for me.

I would have loved this back in the day, not sure I would look good on pink at my age.

Nice work

Well the bike now has its 1st 30miles or so under its belt and I can say it ride like a beauty.

Had to adjust the sadle a bit and the bars to get a nice posistion but once that was done it felt great, must admit thou I can't believe how bad the roads have gotton over the year you dont realise as much in a car. And trying to bend down for the gear shifts was fun lol.

Any way just need to get more miles on her now as I want to be able to do some charity rides with a few mates next year.

That's beautiful and looks like it jumped straight out of the catalogue. I'd say the Ultegra build with Campag aero bottle is fair enough as no-one else made those and I remember them being sought after accessories.

If someone tried to sell me a pink and purple bike without pictures I'd tell them where they could stick it. But yours is stunning! Someone at Peugeot was either drunk or inspired that day.

Thanks, I think it works well but then I would :)

Its been a while but happy to report the bike rides like a dream and I've been enjoying getting out on it as much as I can altough I thnk I could do with a shorter stem like 90 or 100 mm but just can't find one

Really enjoyed this thread, it really is what this site is all about. The bike is a beauty mate, be proud of yourself!
Now onto the next one, eh? :))

Maca - Great looking bike and enjoyed reading your thread.
I noticed you decided to go for the Mavic open 4cd rims and not the Mavic Mach 2 CD 2. I have the same bike as you and currently fitting new tubs, your decision I think is a wise one.

Back