Anyone bought a 650b yet?

PYGA are putting out some impressive bikes indeed. There were a couple of lads (my word for chaps under 40) riding in the woods near me with one of those and some carbon monstrosity, the PYGA looked the business next to the plastic pig.

The rise of 650b/27.5 seems inevitable - weather we like it or not.
Soon all new mountain bikes will be either 650b or 29er.

So when do you think the manufacturers will stop making decent 26" rims and tyres etc.?
Will it still be possible to ride retro bikes on a regular basis, as our main machines, when 26" is no longer found on new bikes?

Worst case scenario is that 650b kills retro biking as a practical cycling choice, by making new 26" tyres and wheels extinct.

From a personal perspective, I trust that the 26" after market will continue for a good many years yet as my winter HT is a 26" :)

That new Pace looks brilliant.... Or is it just really reassuringly expensive generic eastern frame. It's certainly my kind of thing but since I'm fully stocked with projects I will save my pondering on if £499 is good VFM.

Now I've got long legs and like moving fast with little energy and my bombproof 26" and lighter 26" wheels have felt small and stodgy for a while now, specially the heavy ones and after riding light 700c road bound bikes. So I was curious about 29 just the cost of all those bits. For technical playing about I've enjoyed the chuck ability of 26" wheels or even my fab 24er! 650b does seem to be the moon on a stick though, I'm pondering fitting some 650b on a 26" frame. But before that I think some quality lighter 26" wheels with fat tyres are on my Christmas wish list for my Bfe to really get the most out of its versatility.

I have 26" , 650b and 29" bikes, my prefered bikes are now my old Trek 9900 and my Merida Big Seven CF Team, my BIG Nine do nothing but collecting dust.

I have just finished the CAD drawings to my upcoming XC Carbon fully, it will also be a 650b and probably be build by Sarto if they have the time before new year.

I have 26" , 650b and 29" bikes, my prefered bikes are now my old Trek 9900 and my Merida Big Seven CF Team, my BIG Nine do nothing but collecting dust.

I have just finished the CAD drawings to my upcoming XC Carbon fully, it will also be a 650b and probably be build by Sarto if they have the time before new year.

You left out

24"

Dirt Jump
Slopestyle
Street
Four Cross
Dual Slalom
Trials
Klunking

And I'm sure there are one or two others that may have been missed. Tis just the big names diluting our sport for their own gain. Why have one bike that can do everything reasonably well when you can have two or three different ones?

Kind Regards

Liam

Back