Rust inside frame - what to treat with ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
What products has anyone used to protect the inside of steel frames from the dreaded rust ?

Had a peek inside my Marin with a torch and seems ok apart from some small surface rust on the BB

I have heard of Framesaver, or is using something like Kurust etc better/cheaper

Just want to give the old frame the best possible chance of living until its 30 :p

Personaly thought about this with old motorbikes an cars ect. Think they use wax oil but not sure if it would just cover the rust an slow it more than cure it

benjy":ufygothm said:
Personaly thought about this with old motorbikes an cars ect. Think they use wax oil but not sure if it would just cover the rust an slow it more than cure it

That's what I was worried about :?

Mr.Toad":1ixzkf1x said:
JP Weigle framesaver all the way.

Cheap insurance against the rust demons.

Only £10 odd, worth that and does up to 2 frames so I can do the old roadbike also :cool:

I used this stuff :

DSC05206.jpg

WD :D

benjy":3wbz3ga8 said:

Rusting requires water and oxygen. While it won't make existing rust go away, coating it will top these two meeting the steel, so corrosion stops.

Is rusting on the drain holes of the frame a major concern or am I being paranoid :? :oops:

I have shone a torch and only see Chanpagne colour apart from one hole.

I assume there is no way of checking inside the frame with using a hacksaw :)

Has anyone got stories of steel frames crumpling due to rust ?

Back