subaru foresters? are they as good as they seem?

The History Man":3te3ert0 said:
My first car. Cheap insurance even though I was living in finchley. Great for everything inc shares in shell.

Must be a modern equivalent? 740?
a orange volvo :shock:
not really looked at volvos as of yet.

raleighrider21":258nfrg9 said:
The History Man":258nfrg9 said:
My first car. Cheap insurance even though I was living in finchley. Great for everything inc shares in shell.

Must be a modern equivalent? 740?
a orange volvo :shock:
not really looked at volvos as of yet.
a bit flimsy in comparison... ;)

The Forester is without any doubt great, but the Outback is more my cup of tea. Subarus are what brands like Volvo and Saab were a couple decades ago. Pragmatic out of the box for the thinking man. I have both Swedes. A Subaru? Maybe some day.

£3K insurance is a lot. Would you not be better getting a £2K car which cost £2K to insure, first year costs are identical but after that your quids in. Surely something like a low powered petrol focus or something would be bigger than your micra but a lot less on the insurance (and other running costs too possibly). Last time I drove past Walsall on the M6 it wasn't quite the Lake District so I'm sure you could get around in something less than the Forester, even in the week or two of winter we have a year.

If you're set on the subaru go for it though, your money. Could also see if you could get a quote on an impreza turbo, supposed to be ok and also have 4wd.

Is your Grandfather a former member of this site out of interest?

Never had a forester, but know plenty of people who have, but have had 2 subarus, great cars. They just keep going and going so long as you don't abuse them too stupidly. While there not a range rover they will go a bit offroady too.
Started out with a Liberty RS (Legacy GT for you guys) and had that for 6 years and had no major problems... well after I got through the 1st year of silliness anyway (3 gearboxes, 2 clutches, 4 sets of tyres..etc.etc). And then had a wrx for 3 years that we bought as a runaround, serviced it once in 3 years and it hardly missed a beat. Both were at around 300,000km when we sold them and are still going now.

I run a Subaru at over 400 BHP, look after them well and they are tough critters.........some of the later 2.5's can be a bit flakey though.....

Shaun

actually strayed away from the forester today after test driving it and got my eyes on two different cars, a hyundai i30 in blue and a silver focus estate. both £950 and both decent looking motors. the i30 has a problem with the rear brakes apparently so sold as spares/repair etc etc but potentially something i could fix. i drive upto rugeley and hednesford alot wich is more rural than walsall, occasionally take the greyhound lamping, not too keen on the imprezas, local drug dealers choice of motor. they all have them. too much for me i think though + never seen a automatic one. insurance costs are silly full stop for me, i had a quote on a fiesta for £4k. im insured on grandads nissan note 1.6 auto although i dont know what thats costing him. hes not a former member on here but is a former member on mtbe.
im stuck between the focus and the forester if anything. focus is £100 cheaper on insurance but thats it.

raleighrider21":1hcr873t said:
actually strayed away from the forester today after test driving it and got my eyes on two different cars, a hyundai i30 in blue and a silver focus estate. both £950 and both decent looking motors. the i30 has a problem with the rear brakes apparently so sold as spares/repair etc etc but potentially something i could fix. i drive upto rugeley and hednesford alot wich is more rural than walsall, occasionally take the greyhound lamping, not too keen on the imprezas, local drug dealers choice of motor. they all have them. too much for me i think though + never seen a automatic one. insurance costs are silly full stop for me, i had a quote on a fiesta for £4k. im insured on grandads nissan note 1.6 auto although i dont know what thats costing him. hes not a former member on here but is a former member on mtbe.
im stuck between the focus and the forester if anything. focus is £100 cheaper on insurance but thats it.

OK, and what's the additional cost of sticking with your Micra for another year, and hopefully earning some NCB?

Thousands sounds HFM for insurance, especially when it's looking way more than the cost of the motors themselves. Something that people did in the past, when young (well not just when young, too...) was make do.

As others have said, it's your money to do with what you like - but is it really worth the difference to be spending a LOT of money on insurance to change? Are you sure that you won't look back at spending a shedload of money to change, and insure, won't seem a terrible waste, in the near future?

Back